Plastering course

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Bonk, Feb 20, 2007.

1. Bonk

Bonk New Member

I quite fancy being able to learn plastering. I've done a few small jobs round the house which isn't bad for a amature.... so now fancy doing it properly.

Are these 2day intensive or 2week plastering courses any good? Will they teach me what I need to know and come away being able to plaster my own ceilins etc - or is it just a waste of money?

2. Tshiamo

Tshiamo New Member

Hi Bonker
    I did a 2 day plastering course some three years ago. I found it excellent. I have since plastered ceilings walls and had my money's worth of the course. I am obviously much slower than time served plasterer, but finished job just as good. Go for it!!!

3. nearnwales

nearnwales Member

I've never been on this 5 day courses and your a plasterer and now they do a 2 day courses christ all mighty should have gone on a 2 day course instead of years of hard learning with my old man.. where did I go wrong.

Why don't you start ringing some plasterers up for a start or just weekends if your still working you'll learn more in a day then you will in a week on this course.

4. gardm1nt

gardm1nt New Member

I completely agree with nearwales. I learnt my basics working for 6 months as a plasters labourer and am still learning years later.

My plastering is limited to skim overs, ree boarding and skimming the odd ceiling. I probably do around one skim per week and am certainly not as fast as a full time spread by a long chalk. Anything over the average room I normally subb, you will simply not be competitive.

5. 58andstillatit

58andstillatit New Member

Dont want to upset anyone but theres no way that anyone can do a 2 day course then be good enough to start charging customers money.
    Ive seen the mess some guys leave behind, and then the customer has to stump up more cash to get someone else in. If you think that you are good enough then ask to go back and see it when its painted.
    You dont just pick it up, its a skill that takes many years to learn.

It really does annoy me when people think that they can go on short course then they are plasterers or tapers.

MrKieran likes this.
  6. deadonmate

deadonmate New Member

When I started out working for a small building firm, you learned and was expected to do a bit of everything including plastering,

Ive been a joiner for over 20years and have plastered many times to a reasonable standard over those years but as I said Im a joiner not a plasterer.

Leave plastering to plasterers who spend years getting it down to a fine art.

Conclusion? You cant learn plastering in 2days lol

Good Luck

7. STGO

STGO New Member

They are right mate, it will take a long time to master the art of it, a weeks course will put a few pointers your way but its like anything, you need to practice till your arms drop off. then do it some more.
    Good luck mate :)

8. nearnwales

nearnwales Member

you are looking at 5 years to get up to speed in plastering and thats no joke .... plastering is a hard hard trade mate no joke now it's a killer my back hurts my shoulder, my wrists, knees..... think about it.

9. Bonker 2020 I have just recently perfected a special cream that you simply have to rub into your groin four times daily for three days that I am offering at an introductory rate with 50% off for screwy fixers.
    Alternately you can use my one off, though expensive, injection to the buttocks method that renders you instantly as a spread. The side effects are severe mind, you will fart constantly, be reduced to a very limited vocabulary, eat nothing but saveloys and batter bits, smoke forty bensons a day and sweat profusely with an aversion to soap and water!.....But hey ya wanna be a plasterer!!!!!

MrKieran likes this.
  10. Willy Duwitt

Willy Duwitt New Member

Guys, I think you've gone a little OTT in your replies.

The OP was asking if these courses were a good introduction to basic plastering skills so he could do his own walls and ceilings to a reasonable standard. I see no reference to him wanting to join the Spreads fraternity.

As I've not been on any of these crash courses I cant comment on their value, but I see no harm in anyone trying to improve the knowledge and skills.

11. Ivorsmallun

Ivorsmallun New Member

yes parp, just like stgo says, and dont worry about the others, but it will take a while to be any good or quick at it.

12. stehouk

stehouk New Member

went on one of these courses a couple of years ago lasted 4 days cost about £600 with digs, spent about £150 on tools and used them once, the course is very good to learn the basics, but as for setting up as a plasterer no! but small jobs for friends and neighbours that dont want a perfect finish then go for it,but take it from me it is damned hard work and idealy you need someone to do the mix for you.

13. jobsagooden

jobsagooden New Member

14. Mike The Plasterer

Mike The Plasterer New Member

I agree with Parp. These courses are ok for a plasterers mate thats knows a bit and already in the game and they can then take their skills to work and work under supervision. I did a 2 year apprenticeship and then a year as an improver and 10 years later i'm still learning.
    I don't think you will be a proper spread until you've been doing it day in day out for AT LEAST 2-3 years. I think i've Mastered Plastering in the last 2 years, so thats 8 years, a few years back I thought i had, then i look back now and see I hadn't. So i think yes these courses are alright for introductory purposes and for little push along courses, but I guarantee you will not be good enough at the end of it to charge people money.

Hope this helps.

15. nickthebubble

nickthebubble New Member

my course was 2 months in duration that was in 2005... i'm still learning now ;)

16. TimTheSpread

TimTheSpread New Member

I think Bonker only wants to do his own walls...... not charge for it.... whats wrong with that?

17. nickthebubble

nickthebubble New Member

he did say 'he wanted to do it properly' but didn't clarify to what extent that meant... good luck to him is what I say :)

18. gloucester spread

gloucester spread New Member

a 2 day course is a micky mouse course.my labourers take 2 days to learn how i like my tea,let alone plaster :)

19. Ghost-1

Ghost-1 Active Member

I am thinking of doing a plastering course.

I would love to be able to skim ceilings and get nice clean/straight walls.......

I am a tiler, and quite often get asked to quote for the removal of old tiles....which often as you know makes a mess of the walls......If I could plaster well enough to tile onto.....then thats all I want.

So a course is MY only answer.

Also.......after being asked to quote for a newly plastered room........and looking at the so called finished job......I sometimes think I COULD do better.

Don't get on ya high horses all you spreads out there.......but sometimes, they leave a right abortion of a job

20. gardm1nt

gardm1nt New Member

The best way to learn is by watching and labouring for a pro then pleanty of practice.