Plastering course

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Bonk, Feb 20, 2007.

1. Ghost-1

Ghost-1 Active Member

All very well when you are self employed and just need to tidy up walls, as I could do on certain jobs.

Not everyone has the time to watch and learn other trades......same as not everybody has the time to go on a weeks course............but a weeks course will at least give you the very basics.

I for one would'nt do one of these courses and then go out and charge for plastering a full ceiling, but as I said........i only need to tidy up after tile removal.

2. JustinTheSpread

JustinTheSpread New Member

If you're thinking of doing a course, look at www.goldtrowel.org. It's the best course you'll get for the money (the 2 week one) as these guys are all seasoned pros.

3. pete heal

pete heal New Member

I did a 5 day plastering course and theyre good if you want to do small jobs like filling in the troughs left behind by sparkies and plumbers. Bigger jobs require speed and you only get fast from lots of learning and experience. But, if you have a natural knack for it then go for it. Theses courses werent around when the old hacks started out and theyre not as bad as theyre made out to be. You then need to practice after youve done it.

4. 58andstillatit

58andstillatit New Member

Heres the problem i have with the courses.

Guys go on the course - they are now plasterers - put an ad in the paper - undercut real plasterers - leave a mess.

I dont have anything against people doing it, but its when they class themselves as plasterers that gets me p**d off.

5. unclemonkey

unclemonkey New Member

Go for it. 75% of tradesmen are thick as two short planks (i'm in the 25% that aren't lol) if you're intelligent and hardworking you'll be able to plaster better than them within 6 months. Most tradesmen are just scared people will learn to do their own work and put them out of a job. I'd welcome that as most I work with need to find something more suited to them, like delivering leaflets, but then they wouldn't get to play with big powerful tools that make them feel like real men but actually make them look like a toddler who's nicked their dads tools lol.

6. unclemonkey

unclemonkey New Member

And if you don't get good recommendations then you're relying on luck that you'll get a good job. Don't just pick someone out of the local paper! You can check online for recommendations. Do your research! You're gonna be handing over hundreds of pounds to a stranger as well as inviting them into your house.

7. unclemonkey

unclemonkey New Member

"If you want to be a plaster, then work for a plaster"...........love it
    I'd put money on the fact that these 2 day courses have at least a couple things in them that would make some so called plasterers think hmmm thats a good idea, never knew that. Try getting them to admit it though!

8. mc145

mc145 New Member

I bet you they dont, ive had lads work for me off these courses and what they teach them is how to patch a m2 hole up, ive been at it 11 years, i know blokes who have been at it 40 years and we're still learning, so to say anyone can do a 2-5 day course and produce a finish like mine is laughable

9. MrKieran

MrKieran New Member

No offence bonk but what you call not bad a proper plasterer could do better with the trowel stuck between his *** cheeks.