Plastering each step on underside of staircase

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by baracus, Jan 23, 2019.

1. baracus

baracus Member

Has anyone ever skimmed the underside of each step of a staircase? Ie plaster board the riser and plasterboard the step and have a corner bead where the meet.

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Ive boarded kite winders like as you describe purely because it was the spec on the site I was on, but it's largely a waste of time, you'd generally just box it off with a bulkhead, or in older properties they would sometimes prime, mesh and plaster with bonding. You'd try to avoid doing it where possible, but may rarely still do it where headroom is crucial I.e. a loft conversion.

3. baracus

baracus Member

Thanks for replying.
    I want to board and skim all steps with a angle bead and shadow bead where it meets the string - yes will be time consuming.
    Did you have any issues actually skimming these small areas, ie each step/riser?

4. AlvyChippy

AlvyChippy Active Member

As per Jord
    Have done every single imaginable staircase in the past from exposed, to small bits and mesh.
    Doing in small single triangles it'll be rather nasty looking as horizontal triangles will end up with 3 supported edges and bigger end towards inside... Also, not having it taped will crack.
    Do hate doing a "wave" under the winders, using halved thread (2 per one) button to create the shape, then wire mesh with washers, then bonding... and personally use at least PVA to seal it before hand, but on a last job- none and only hope remains, that all that moisture will dry out, without affecting actual stairs to start squeeking...

If you do have space spare, might be worth doing lowered plasterboard framework, but it is not quick or easy job to work out size transition