Plastering in pipe chases

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by jake, Sep 3, 2009.

1. jake

jake Guest

I've had a complete new central heating system installed, having agreed with the plumber that I'd do all the chasing & making good.

So far, no problem. The radiator pipes are in, they're 15mm copper pipes, covered in a woolly sleeve. I'm going to fill in the holes with bonding plaster just short of the surface, then a top skim with Multi-finish, (just like I did after the electrical chases).

My question is: can I put the bonding plaster straight onto the woolly stuff? Or do I have to put some sort of barrier layer in first?

Thanks for any advice.

2. X

X New Member

Bonding will stick to the 'woolly stuff' like ** to a blanket.

But..

The constant heating and cooling of the pipes may cause cracking of the plasterwork

3. nigel

nigel Guest

Yep, all my buried heating pipes cause plaster to crack, luckily only one short run.

4. nigel

nigel Guest

Way to avoid this would be to have run the pipe inside plastic pipe so the heat is not transfered.

5. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear New Member

What I did very sucessfully when plastering wall chases was to use sand and cement plus a couple of trowels of finish plaster. This was a tip I used when kitchen fitting and making good ready for tiling. The sand and cement is stronger than bonding and the plaster mixed with it makes it set very quickly and easier to apply.

I didnt have any cracks in my chases as the pipes move freely inside the wooly insulation sleeve. For large chases I also use a thin stip of expanding metal to give a better key for the render and also provide a little protection to the pipes. I just tacked it in position using galvanised clout nails in the blockwork joints.
    Fozzie