Plastering job advice

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Misde-Meanor, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Misde-Meanor

Misde-Meanor Member

Hi guys, i'm just looking for a wee bit of advice on a job i had done about 7 months ago. I had a plasterer in to skim my hallway and stairs (not the actual stairs, that would just be so wrong) :p

Anyhoo, a few weeks after it was done, i noticed more than a few small hairline cracks and the guy had advised me that if that happened then just phone him and he would fix them so when he eventually came out to fix them, he didn't spend a great deal of time on it and only did some of them and when he left he left me a small tub of white stuff and told me how to use it but since then i have noticed at least another 30 /40 cracks in various places including the ceiling.

I don't want to be seen and some neurotic (cough cough) 50 something loony woman harassing him but am i within my rights to try to get him back out ? He charged me almost £700 and for that money, i expected to get a decent job done and not have to repair it myself.

2. CGN

CGN Well-Known Member

Tricky one. £700 is quite cheap for the job, and although you may get the odd crack as things dry out, it sounds like he hasn’t prepared the walls properly before skimming.

3. Astramax

Astramax Well-Known Member

Very common problem, couple of years ago customer of mine had her H,S &L skimmed by a plasterer and the same problem occurred, he came back and did some repairs but more cracks appeared over several months, in the end I hung WallRock Fibre Liner over the whole area and she has had no problems since.;)

4. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

Delaminating,poor preparation.

5. CGN

CGN Well-Known Member

What type of fish?

6. CGN

CGN Well-Known Member

Delightful!

7. CGN

CGN Well-Known Member

The price is right! Anytime. I’ll drink you under the table :D

8. DIY womble

DIY womble Well-Known Member

What was wrong with the original , do you know what plaster was on the walls and what was the undercoat , was the ceiling artex or skim , on boards or over lathe

9. DIY womble

Did he tell you how he was going to prep the surface , pva or grit did he use multifinish,

10. DIY womble

Someone who's responsible for this site should be sacked

11. Cyrax344

Cyrax344 New Member

Why

12. CGN

CGN Well-Known Member

Why?

13. DIY womble

Just posted mate , all the best John
    PS prep mate always prep ,

14. Astramax

Astramax Well-Known Member

Who's John............thought your name was Uncle Bulgaria :), come on Womble, chill and ignore the Troll(s).

15. Misde-Meanor

Misde-Meanor Member

Thanks for the replies, when you say it was cheap at £700, it only consists of a very small entrance hallway and pretty much the same upstairs, most of the walls are taken up with doors upstairs and the stairwell ceiling didn't get done either but the price is neither here nor there, my question really was, is it normal practice for a trades person to leave the client with a tub of powder to repair the job themselves.

Wow, wish i had known this before, i could have saved myself about 600 quid. ;)

The original plaster was about 70 years old and had obviously deteriorated with bits patched up by previous owners and after getting some work done in the hallway (old cupboard ripped out and replaced, hot water cylinder removed,etc) it needed done. I have no idea what he used but he did bond it with pva, not a hint of Artex anywhere just old and unsightly bumpy plaster, downstairs was plaster on brick and upstairs was plasterboard although that was quite odd with no sort of finish on it to my untrained eye other than a yellowish flaking layer of something and when i was removing the paper (3 layers of it) it was taking off the papery layer of the plasterboard.

BTW - i have no idea what's going on with some of the replies about fish pies and stuff and talk of Trolls so i hope that i wasn't the cause of this or that you think i'm a Troll, i'm far from it and was merely asking for advice but thanks anyway[​IMG]

16. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Well-Known Member

Forget the pies and the resident troll. Fact is you shouldn't have cracks. Call your man back and ask him nicely if he is happy with it. Give him every opportunity to sort it out. If he is any sort of professional he should care about his reputation. Just drop a little hint about how you haven't said anything .....yet..... to your friends or posted any reviews. I think you have more chance of a good outcome being nice rather than being confrontational even if you are in the right.