Plastering new wall with chases.

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Tal, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Tal

Tal New Member

Hi, I’ve attached plasterboard to my kitchen walls with a number of channels for the wiring. Would someone explain how to fill and prep these channels before skimming please.

Attached Files:

2. Jord86

Jord86 Well-Known Member

Unless the picture is deceiving, the capping wants to be buried a good 1/2” beneath the wall surface, not flush with the plasterboard. Skim will just crack and flake off if flush.

3. Tal

Tal New Member

Thanks for your reply. No, picture isn’t deceiving. It’s a solid brick wall behind the plasterboard. I don’t fancy digging a half inch out of brick to bury the capping. What would be a good option here? Would a second layer of plasterboard be possible?

4. Jord86

Jord86 Well-Known Member

Yes, but you need to work out whether an extra layer would impact on the kitchen layout at all.

5. Tal

Tal New Member

This particular wall would be fine for kitchen layout although there is a radiator on the wall which may be an issue. The other walls might be a problem though. I guess I’d have the dig out the walls.

Assuming I can sort out the depth of the cables, how do I prep the channels for plastering?

6. Jord86

Jord86 Well-Known Member

Fill the chase with bonding plaster, bonding compound, sand and cement, anything that goes off solid, then skim the whole wall. On the wall where you are putting another layer of plasterboard over, just do that and cover all the capping, then skim when the dabs gone off.