Plastering over electrical wall chases

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by greekygeek, Sep 7, 2020.

1. greekygeek

greekygeek New Member

I'm are planning in filling these wall chases after we had some re-wiring. I'd be much obliged if anyone can shed any light on the below:

1. I've already got some "TouPret Renovating filler" at home and wondering whether I can get away with using this somehow?

2. I am especially concerned about protecting the wires in two places (see pictures)
    IMG_1335.JPG IMG_1334 (1).JPG

Look forward to feedback and thanks again.

2. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

What on earth is behind the tape in the 2nd photo? Looks shocking, literally. And definitely not to standards. There is exposed CPC going into the wall?

3. greekygeek

greekygeek New Member

That's what I'm concerned about as well. Any ideas?

4. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

I'd isolate the supply and remove the tape. Looks like a right bodge.

5. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Can you post a photo showing the bigger picture, where the cables are in relation to the wall and other sockets/switches? I think the cables may not be within permitted zones.

Zed1001 likes this.
  6. Who did the wiring, the plumber ? that's a disgraceful bodge of a job.

7. Zed1001

Zed1001 Member

That is very rough. In addition to the above comments, Looks like the grey twin and earth is between the face plate and back box. Second pic looks like that red rawl plug has clipped the buried cable. Really wants sorting properly before its plastered over.

Hans_25 likes this.
  8. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Actually the more I look, the more I fail to see anything done properly.

9. Zed1001

Zed1001 Member

I was about to say his cable clips were OK, but just noticed one's the wrong size. Just nit picking now.

10. Hans_25

Hans_25 Screwfix Select

Its probably a 2.5mm clip over 1mm triple and earth, I can forgive that.

Zed1001 likes this.
  11. Its like one of those 'spot the fault' tests isn't it, only in this case the only correct part is whoever cobbled that together used the correct colour sleeving for the CPC's.

The trick part of the test will be regarding the red wall plug, has it been bashed into a 6mm hole or 5.5mm...........

Zed1001 likes this.
  12. No problem for the person who did the cabling, its only clipped the neutral ! /s

13. Zed1001

Zed1001 Member

I just hope the OP didn't pay too much for that job. In answer to your original question greekygeek, once you've got the cabling sorted, undercoat plaster, bonding or similar would be better, assuming you can get a small enough quantity. The filler would be fine for finishing it off ready for decorating. If you get somebody competent to rectify that wiring I'm sure they could fill the chase ready for you to finish it off.

ElecCEng likes this.
  14. ElecCEng

ElecCEng Screwfix Select

I have no words. :eek:

Edit: You really need to have those cables redone so there are 4 rather than 3, exposed and replaced to where each connects to an accessory/junction box, i.e. with no joins in them. Apart from the fact you shouldn’t have joints buried in plaster, you’d really struggle to cover the depth of the connector block...

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
  15. Hfs

Hfs Screwfix Select

Don’t fill that yet, get it redone properly and then fill it.

ElecCEng likes this.
  16. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

My suggestion is to find out which body the so called electrician is registered with and ask them to inspect: send them photos to explain your concern.

Mathis is utterly terrible workmanship which would bring competent DIY to shame

17. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

This wasn't done by a competent spark, I'd really think about getting someone else, you need to check if he is registered

18. sparko69

sparko69 Screwfix Select

He/she probably did the job themself.
    'It's only 1 socket I'm not paying a greedy electrician £80 for an easy little job. I can get some connector blocks from wilkos and they sell insulation tape as well...they also sell filler' .....
    What could go wrong???

19. The one stop bodge shop.

20. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Your right he doesn't mention it was done by a spark, I've seen kitchen fitters do better wiring