plastering over flock wall paper.

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by lee van cleef, Apr 23, 2006.

1. lee van cleef

lee van cleef New Member

my cloakroom is having a revamp and I want to know if you can plaster over wallpaper?
    It is the 70's style textured type and has a few layers of paint over it.
    What do you reckon?

2. SDSMax

SDSMax New Member

you're joking! arn't you?

3. Boxer Red

Boxer Red New Member

Again, hope you are joking. You can never plaster over paper.
    BR

4. handyman.

handyman. New Member

5. chappers

chappers Member

I wqould agree its a daft idea, but having said that when I first moved into my house 6 years a go I stripped off all the woodchip and reskimmed apart from the last wall in one bedroom, which after about a week of stripping I just couldn't face doing.My mate said "are you sure you want me to skim on top of that it will just fall off". Who cares i thought if it pulls the paper off then its just one more wall to skim and at least I won't have to strip it. Well 6 years later its still up there as good as ever so you never know. Wouldn't recommend it though

6. lee van cleef

lee van cleef New Member

thankyou chappers and handyman for your replies, at least your honest...

I am really tempted to skim it, after all plasterboard is paper and nobody whinges about that.
    I have long suspected that not plastering over paper is one one of those builders old wives tales designed to stiff client's.

It's the same gits who insist you can't plaster over artexed ceilings so they can string out a big job ripping them down and re-boarding.
    I think it's just common sense.

Also,plastering over paper the customer wins: As long as the substate's good, in this case sound, fast paper (even got a texture) it's cleaner and faster.
    What's the problem?

7. SDSMax

SDSMax New Member

> thankyou chappers and handyman for your replies, at
    least your honest...

and I'm not?

> I am really tempted to skim it, after all
    plasterboard is paper and nobody whinges about that.

in plasterboard the paper is firmly bonded to the plaster.

> I have long suspected that not plastering over paper
    is one one of those builders old wives tales designed
    to stiff client's.

wrong!

> It's the same gits who insist you can't plaster over
    artexed ceilings so they can string out a big job
    ripping them down and re-boarding.

it's those 'gits' that believe in doing a decent job!

> I think it's just common sense.

I don't!

> Also,plastering over paper the customer wins:

really?

> As long
    as the substate's good, in this case sound, fast
    paper (even got a texture) it's cleaner and faster.
    What's the problem?

the problem is that all that's holding the weight of the plaster skim is the wallpaper paste, what you're proposing to do is a bodge!

8. chappers

chappers Member

I still wouldn't recommend it as I have seen it fail more times than I've seen it sucessful.

9. Swiss Tony

Swiss Tony New Member

To loosen the paper you would thoroughly wet it.

When you skim the paper, it will get thoroughly wet, bubble up and fall off.

Old wifes tale?

Common sense?

Go on, give it a go and let us know what happens.

10. jonah.

jonah. New Member

Seen it done - Seen it stay and seen it fall off. So the conclusion is if you want to take the risk go for it. But if you want a recommendation that is gauranteed take the paper off!!! Hard work but worth the peace of mind

Cheers - jonah

11. Boxer Red

Boxer Red New Member

stuff it. You are looking for your right answer, so anything that goes against what you want you will simply dismiss as bad advice. Why post a question in the first place? You ask for serious tradesmen to help then dismiss their answers. Good luck if you decide to go ahead, if I was asked to quote your job I'b be honest and would recommend you stripped wallpaper first. If you decided not to and still wanted me to go ahead, I'd get you to sign a disclaimer to cover my backside.
    BR