Plastering over wood. Yay or nay?

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Mitchell Finlay, Jul 27, 2021.

1. Mitchell Finlay

Mitchell Finlay New Member

Hi.

I have a bit of a dilemma. I am boxing in some horizontal pipework that runs along the wall near the floor to a radiator. I am running some horizontal battens above and below the pipes. I have chosen 1 1/4" battens as the will protrude beyond the pipes, then I can screw in plasterboard to cover the front.

My problem is that the very top edge/face of the box will be the thickness of the batten, meaning I will need to cut a 1 1/4", long piece of plasterboard... which you can imagine will be a nightmare!

Is is possible to plaster directly on wood (as it will be a small area)? If so, should i prep the wood, PVA it a few times? I was even thinking of a few coats of PVA and then some plasterboard tape on top (something for the plaster to grip to).

Any idea/recommendations?

Thanks

2. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

Why not use mdf instead? As you've said, thin strip of plaster will break, and plastering directly onto wood always results in cracks

3. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Thinner wood with plastering 3mm stop bead nailed or glued over wood then plaster maybe?

Plaster will come off wood over time so need to cover with metal mesh or the 3mm stop bead. B&q stock plus other places.

4. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

just cut it with an old wood saw.

Abrickie likes this.