Plastering Prices

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by pplastering, Mar 7, 2006.

1. pplastering

pplastering New Member

I've been running my own business plastering for a while now but have been offered the chance to price up a site for a building firm. What are the going rates for: Dab and skim (per metre), Board and skim(psm) and Ceiling Board and skim(psm)? I know its different from one area to another and i am in NW England. Thanks

2. Bigplumber

Bigplumber New Member

From experiance f building companies they will aupply all te materials and expect a day rate, plus they will expect a certain amount of meterage a day.

3. niton

niton New Member

I usually charge a board price for dot dab. Anything from 8 quid per board upwards and and from 10.50 for a thermal board. Skim from 8 quid sqm upwards plus a quid per m for beads, although mostly taping on site. Sheeting ceilings from 10 per sheet upwards. On stairs i would charge around 180 per day as it would be impossible to charge a board price. Prices labour only. Obviously the prices / company etc... differ from place to place.

4. jcraig

jcraig New Member

how many boards you stick in a shift?
    how cant you charge board price on stairs?

5. niton

niton New Member

how many boards you stick in a shift?
    With a labourer i can finish a house a day (40 odd boards) We start at 8, i get my ingoes/soffits cut - labourer gets some boards in then he mixes a couple of bags and we get cracking. I always check the pallet quantity b4 starting so i know exactly what ive used.
    As for the stairs its time consuming doing stairs when cutting out the risers and treads, so you wouldn't make any money on a board price.

6. baznottm

baznottm New Member

looking for new career (mines sh!t) and possibly gonna start a course in plastering. what sort of money can i excpect as a plasterer/labourer?

7. master tradesman

master tradesman New Member

all my labourers get 100 a day regardless of wha t job they are doing

8. baznottm

baznottm New Member

cheers master tradesman. got any jobs going?!:)

9. yorkshireboy

yorkshireboy Member

Does anyone else pay 100 a day for labouring ?

10. niton

niton New Member

Does anyone else pay 100 a day for labouring ?

Nope!!
    If i paid my labourer that kinda money i would have to put my prices up and then wouldnt get any work.
    Lets say i skim a living room for 200 quid give the labourer 100 then materials and diesel, i would be left with 70 / 80 quid ! no chance

11. What type of stairs are you boarding around then niton?
    Grafity defying steps from Jewsons! What type of stairs dont have a string, the inclining timber that supports the ends of treads and risers. Which gives you a straight cutalbeit angled. At £8 a sq mtr on price, you then charge only £180 a day,thats some shortfall even for the slowest of spreads. Or a living room for £200???? By this reckoning the sitting rooms you plaster are around seven foot square!!!!!!
    What is it then niton?...me thinks you are talking out of your hole!

12. And the gravity defying steps are even rarer than the Grafity defying ones!!

13. Baznottm get yourself off down to East Leake and onto the British Gypsum taping and jointing course run down there. Its not like a plastering course where you havent a hope of learning the necessary to equip yourself for earning a living at it, but taping is a different ball game and good money can be made at it, make some enquireies!

14. PPplastering,Try and get a copy of Spons small works or Hutchins where you will find the going rates for everything, from A to Z that you could possibly need. If every house on the site is identical then it should be simple enough to measure and calculate. As a first experience then try to take the job on at labour only, if this is a non starter and you need to supply you could allways drop a spec into a QS, the small fee charged would give you peace of mind that you are quoteing in the right spectrum of price with all angles covered. Most importantly have a small works contract signed, something simple and unelaborate, and make sure you anticipate, recognise and be able to refer back on any problems or hold ups that are beyond your control that can inevitably mean the difference between profits and losses.

15. niton

niton New Member

Robbo, b4 being a smarty why dont you read my post properly? I said skim 8 quid plus for SKIMMING.
    I never said i charge 8 quid sqm for drylining. 180 to dot dab a stair a day is ok for me with no materials to buy. Now onto the 200 quid for a living room. I would charge 200 to skim a 5x4 living room. Whats up with that?

16. niton

niton New Member

What is it then niton?...me thinks you are talking
    out of your hole!
    Robbo you wouldnt want to say that to my face. The last guy who spoke to me like that got the famous glesga kiss.

17. pplastering

pplastering New Member

Cheers Robbo. Very Helpful.

18. Niton I understood your post perfectly, you clearly did not understand mine. Maths clearly is not your strong point is it? If a sitting room is 5x4 at a standard 2.4 on a linear count that makes around 43 sq mtrs. Times this by £8 per sq mtr equalsjust shy of £350, and thats at your low rate..........350!!!200!!!350!!!200 errrrrr. So I repeat what is it niton, when is your 18th birthday I will treat you to a calculator.
    Nothing wrong at all in charging £200 for a sitting room b.t.w.
    So just where do you buy theese stringless staircases anyway?

O and the glasga kiss, ha ha, dont forget to bring yourself along something to stand on wee fella!
    ppplastering glad to help, if you need any advise in measureing a new build and calculating areas just shout.

19. niton

niton New Member

Robbo give us a break. The living room i said for 200 quid was in ref to the labourers wages question. It was a different post.
    This is what i would for PRIVATE work, but on my other post i was refering to SITE work which is a totally different ball game with regards to pricing.
    You seem to p i s s alot of other pple on here, as i said b4 you wouldnt want to say it to my face.
    This is meant to be a help / advice forum not for winding other pple up. Suppose your not man enough to do it face to face with sum1 so you sit behind ur pc and do it the s h i t bags way.
    Im not going to waste my time arguing with u.
    With regards to drylining on stairs. I was talking about concrete stairs ON SITES yes i make a template up and cut them out on the board. On the other hand if i was drylining a house on a sitethen i would stick cuts of ply to the wall - for a catch (behind the stringer) wait till it sets, stick my board and nail it? suppose ive been doing this wrong for years?
    nice talking to you again

20. jcraig

jcraig New Member

come on guys why don't we all get on. No point slagging each other off. The original poster was asking for rough prices for site work and mr niton has stated his prices for site work. mr niton just to clarify you don't charge $8.00 per square m on private work is that correct? I realised you were speeking hypothetically in relation to the labourers money.
    Although, mr niton your post was not really all that clear on the stairs and thats why i asked you the question. Maybe you should have stated it was bison stairs you were sheeting. Funny how some guys get all worked up about some comments.

jc