Plastering Project

Discussion in 'Project Photos' started by Jitender, May 10, 2017.

1. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Thought I would have a go at plastering. Couldn't hold of the normal plasterer until next week, so decided to do the walls. Joints were taped up with mesh plasterers tape. Used Thistle Mult-finish. Quite happy with the finish, needs some minor filling and light sanding. Quite a big wall 10ft x 8ft high. Seems to be drying out quickly, started at 10:30am.

Ceiling will get skimmed too, I have taped up the joints and will let the plasterer do this.

upload_2017-5-10_19-44-29.png

Also did the ceiling in WC, artex ceiling had high point scraped off. Used Thistle Uni-finish, this already has PVA, plaster seems a lot more gooey compared to multi-finish.

Ceiling is a lot more hard work, but this size was manageable for me
    upload_2017-5-10_19-42-36.png

Attached Files:

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Well done for having a go, doesn't look to bad on the pics. :):)

3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

The guy that normally does it for me is quite short, like me :oops:. I have scaffold boards so set this up for him. He is very old skool and carry's a rucksack with all the tools in.

The other bedroom he did half then moved all the staging over to complet the rest.

Been helping him and he has taught me some good tips.

tore81 likes this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Horrible stuff Thistle Uni-finish,over expensive, I always prefer to prime artex with pva @ 4-1 allow to dry, then apply second coat & plaster with a plastic plaziflex trowel while tacky with multi finish.

And well done at giving it a go,looks pretty good.:):):)

You get a old school plaster,you can learn a lot from them

5. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Learned a lot from him. He always keeps his trowel clean unlike me. He has a 5-6" paint brush to clean it regularly. I need to get into the habit of this too.

He makes up enough mix, uses a wooden batten, then a drill with a mixer attachment.

I haven't got the mixer attachment, so just used the batten. But notice there are lumps or could be air pockets in the mix.

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You need a paddle on a drill to get nice creamy lump free plaster.

When I polish the plaster I prefer to use a hand sprayer rather than a brush, which like your plaster I use soley for trowel cleaning.

tore81 likes this.
  7. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Qudos, good work!

8. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Looks good :)

Practice practice practice...just practice :)

KIAB likes this.
  9. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I think he may have 2 brushes? One of the brushes he used to flick water onto the wall.

10. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

This plastering is quite addictive :), quit ecstatic today as feel I have achieved something positive.

With basic tools is quite easy to get a good finish. I've ordered a new trowel :D and will get a mixer attachment.

Going to have a go at some other areas, won't attempt any large ceilings as haven't got the strength to do those and need to be quick.

tore81, Dr Bodgit, KIAB and 1 other person like this.
  11. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Good job JT

It is very satisfying! I did one wall for the family. Next thing you know I did the whole living room. Massive difference!

The important part here is like you I was guided by a plaster friend and worked alongside him.

You can make a big mess of not guides, as it looks quite easy and I have made a few blunders in the past.

Even down to using a crappy trowel! Get a Marshall town and that instantly gives you less lines etc. Even better tools out there now

It is addictive and very rewarding after.

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Haven't used my metal Marshall in five years or so, tried the plastic Plaziflex & have stayed with it,much lighter, easier on the arms when doing ceilings,blades are available in various lengths & replaceable, just slide into the handle.

tore81 likes this.
  13. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Thank you Kiab I was thinking of a plazi for my next project.

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

15. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I've heard the plastic blade doesn't bring out much moisture to the surface, compared to a metal lade one.

Is this trowel for laying on or final finishing?

16. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

17. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

18. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

:(

For ceilings you can't beat plastic plaziflex for lightness & speed, easier on your arms than a metal trowel.

Last week I misplaced the spare plastic blades, so use a metal trowle plastering wall, trowel is very well used, & while polishing off a rivet came out & scored the plaster, had to leave plaster to dry & repair damage later.:mad:
    Metal blade is so worn, that several rivet heads have worn away, so blade came away from handle, something that can't happen with a plastic blade.

Last edited: May 12, 2017
  19. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

I've got a Nela superflex, but they're really a finishing trowel, not for laying on with.

20. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Never used their plastering trowels, but I have Nela 11" Philadelphia Brick Trowel, lovely quailty.