Plastering Question

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by dangermouse, Apr 4, 2007.

1. dangermouse

dangermouse New Member

Hi Forum.

I realise that it's difficult to quote a price for a job without seeing it, but I'd really appreciate a ballpark figure.
    One of the threads on this forum mentions that to skim a plasterboard wall they would reckon on about £4.50per sqm

I have 6 sqm that I need skimming and am getting wildly different quotes to that.
    The 6spm does include wall to windowsill height and the windowsill itself, but other than that its a simple floor to ceiling job.

The room is empty etc

Can anyone advise me roughly what they would charge?

2. Willy Duwitt

Willy Duwitt New Member

I would expect a job like this to cost around £150 - £200 ie 1/2 day inc travelling, estimating, cleaning up, etc

3. newey

newey New Member

DM, are you saying that you expect a skilled spead to collect materials, drive to your house, plaster 6 sqm of wall, clean up and drive onto next job for £27? Ok, so it's a bag of thistle, prob a fiver. Just supposing an angle bead, a quid. £6 materials. That leaves £21. This job is gonna take prob couple of hous to complete, providing thistle goes off quickly. Lets say he has another job to go straight onto for the remaining 5 hours left in his day, allowing half hour travelling each way to the job. Your job works out at about £7 an hour in your eyes. The poor bloke would probably earn more cooking BigMacs! I'd quote half a day labour, plus materials plus profit and it would have to be done when i could walk into a similar half day job or I wouldn't be interested. I'd want at least £100.

4. audi-evo

audi-evo Active Member

Yep newey, i get this in my job (fitting laminate/wood floors)
    "Oh you charge £12m2, ok i have a 4m2 bathroom with a claw foot bath, wash basin on two chrome legs, loo with all pipes comming out of the floor, so thats £48, oh the door needs trimming so i'll give you £50"
    .........................................ring ring "hello i was just talking to you and the line went dead, i think my phone must be faulty"
    "no madam your phone is fine, it's your maths thats faulty, bye

5. dangermouse

dangermouse New Member

This was the reason for me posting the question, I couldn't see how the maths could possibly work at that figure.

I actually got (and accepted) a quote for £100 including materials (50kg Thistle and a metal strip)

6. yan1

yan1 New Member

that's a reasonably good price. go for it