Plastering question

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Demelza100, Sep 8, 2009.

  1. Demelza100

    Demelza100 New Member

    I am doing a self build and was advised to ply the kitchen walls to ensure secure fixing of wall units. I have done this from floor to ceiling and intended to have the wall plastered (painted on top and below the wall units)as I didn't want tiles. I have now been told that you cannot plaster onto ply!!! Is there any bonding agent, mesh, tape I could use that can be skimmed onto?? Any advice appreciated as I don't fancy having to take it all down.
  2. jimbotee

    jimbotee New Member

    Personally, I would now cover the whole lot in 9.5mm plasterboard and skim it, I dont think there is anything that would help plaster adhere to ply, if there is, it not going to be as good as plasterboard.
  3. bigjules

    bigjules New Member

    Agree with Jimbotee - overlay with plasterboard and skim as usual.

    OR........assuming that the construction is studwork, and that you want to do a lot of unnecessary work, strip the ply out, fit batten and ply IN-BETWEEN studs at cabinet fixing level only, eg a horizontal strip 300mm wide at (say) both 900mm and 2100mm above finished floor level, both heights dependant upon cabinet size.

    Then plasterboard and skim.
  4. nickthebubble

    nickthebubble New Member

    a short answer.. .no... as has been advised already, 9.5mm plaster boards, then skim ;o)
  5. chippie244

    chippie244 Super Member

    Don't listen to idiots who say you can't fix cabinets to plasterboard :)
  6. ponty01.

    ponty01. New Member

    always fix to batons that will be attached to the upright stud work. these timbers will sandwich the plasterboard.e
  7. chippie244

    chippie244 Super Member

    Talking *** again IWS. Isn't it time you took another "holiday" cos I think your medication levels are slipping :^O

    [Edited by: admin]
  8. chippie244

    chippie244 Super Member

    You're suffering from delusions of adequacy :^O
  9. Guest

    How dare you talk to my painter like that.
  10. dryliner essex

    dryliner essex New Member

    Yes you can plaster over ply,the bonding agent you need is called thistle-bond.but like the others say"plasterboard it
  11. paddyodoors

    paddyodoors New Member

    yeehaaa oh yeah just plasterboard over the ply whats he gonna do when u come to the door lining yeehaaa
  12. GWP

    GWP New Member

    I agree with Dryliner...Thistle Bond-It.Its a marvellous bonding agent with grit.Must be put on and left to dry for a minimum of 24hrs.Only downside is its like painting treacle to put it on,and its costly...but if theres door linings to consider...thats the way to go.
  13. jimbotee

    jimbotee New Member

    What door lining? Its not exactly hard to make your own linings to the correct width...yeeehaaaa
  14. paddyodoors

    paddyodoors New Member

    jimbotea id love to see ur house then i bet its a proper lash up
  15. jimbotee

    jimbotee New Member

    Yes, my house is a proper lash up, some walls are wattle and daub, some are stud work, 100mm and 75mm, metal stud partitioning, single or double boarded, others are half brick, single brick, block on their flat, all with varying plaster thicknesses, and a couple are cob....luckily 125mm 'of the shelf' door linings fit all of these walls a treat, no need for any adjustments anywhere.
  16. jimbotee

    jimbotee New Member

  17. paddyodoors

    paddyodoors New Member

    i rest my case
  18. sooperman

    sooperman New Member

    Why would you wanna plaster over ply. Cover with 12.5 mm plasterboard. much more steardier than 9.5mm and then skim. yeeeeeeeeee

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice