Plastering/skimming preparation

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by gibson5, Apr 13, 2005.

1. gibson5

gibson5 New Member

I've have a plasterer arriving on Saturday to skim my walls and ceiling. Can any one tell me what kind of preparation I need to do before then?
    I have gutted the room ie removed skirting/electrical sockets/electrical switches and wall paper. All that remains is the old artex on the ceiling and a fine layer of paint on the walls. Is there anything else I should do before the plasterer arrives?

2. panlid

panlid New Member

maybe scrape the artex to get rid of high spots. by the sound of it if the plaster was there you would skim it for him too:D

plasteres are f***g spoilt:D

3. get the kettle on and keep the man happy in his work.

if every customer worried about getting a room ready in the way you have. Life would be much easier.

The times I've turned up to tile kitchens and had to clear away the breakfast dishes, you'd be astonished.

4. drill driver

drill driver New Member

I`ve had the same Mudster.Once went to house with a kitchen full of dogshite.woman said"I`ve left key for you under brick by back door".Guess what ?Yes there was dog ***** on it too.Dishes piled high and dog faeces on floor.Nice.

5. panlid

panlid New Member

know what you mean mudster. twice ive been to rip out kitchens to do full new one and their cupboards were still full.

6. wgr

wgr New Member

i had a job few weeks ago knocking a wall down and moving it to make room bigger, got there the wardrobe was still full and against the wall, shelves up and full of ornaments, posters on wall and all sorts....
    WINDOW LICKERS!

7. owen

owen New Member

i've had to empty kitchen cupboards before ripping them out too. Thing is I bet if you broke something they'd want you to replace it!!

8. gibson5

gibson5 New Member

Sounds like I'm worrying too much, but at £400 a day plastering a room is not cheap and I wanted a perfect finish!
    I guess my main concern is regarding the paint on the ceiling and walls. Will the plaster adhere ok to the paint and more importantly will the paint remain adhered to the walls/ceiling??????? I can see the weight of the plaster pulling the paint off the ceiling!!

9. drill driver

drill driver New Member

The guy`ll pva the walls and ceilings to use as a key for the plaster to stick to.He`ll apply plaster as pva is going tacky.Always works.never had any fall off with me anyhow.

10. wgr

wgr New Member

£400 a day!!!! where are you?

11. Be aware of the mid height ladders that some plasterers use, they usually step onto the third step, looking up at the ceiling, especially as you walk towards them with a cuppa or biscuits, rendering your face, close to their crotch.... sometimes they may even raise their eyebrows and give you that knowing smile....? As a precaution, just warn them prior to entering your home that you're not like that.. Hope that helps :)

12. wgr

wgr New Member

still thinking abot £400 a day, the most i charge is 200 + mats a day

13. that reminds me of the time when i was doing a straight swap of a suite, i got in the bathroom and they were still having a bath, it didn't matter 'cause i re-routed the waste whilst in situ to a small hole in the wall, didn't even spill a drop on the floor, she really thanked me for that, when she eventually got out of the bath.....?:)

14. wgr

wgr New Member

the point is did you see her norks??? maybe she was inticing you to get in with her i'd of knocked her £20 off the job and jumped in with her, as long as she want a munter that is

15. wild man

wild man New Member

in reply to the man who is getting his room plastered 400 pounds seems alot of money a room should cost between 200~300 pounds so 400 seems very steep

16. wgr

wgr New Member

400 per day!!!

17. wgr - didn't see her "norks" coz she had a bit of matey bubble bath in the bath with er, but when i got my flexi-waste out, she was prepared, she whipped out her "denso tape" and explained that it would take up any slack! I replied with a "reducer" turned the other way, and said ahha "increaser", as my spiggot was far too small for her bored out cavity...as regard to a discount, well i couldn't refuse and left her a deposit, that was biodegradeable and buoyant, especially in her matey bubble bath, she said i could come again, but i refused point blank, stating that i was already committed...easy really :)

18. wgr

wgr New Member

lol