Plastering

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Late Sutton, Nov 1, 2006.

1. Late Sutton

Late Sutton New Member

When plastering onto plasterboard how long do you have to wait to for UPV to dry before plastering?

2. Late Sutton

Late Sutton New Member

3. Late Sutton

Late Sutton New Member

PVA** I'll get it right!

4. nicknuv

nicknuv New Member

Why would you PVA plasterboard? Thistle finish is designed specifically for that background...it's already low uniform suction.

5. mungo.

mungo. New Member

Nick is spot on ,why would you pva plasterboard?? i was watching ben huggins doing it on discovery channel the other night,what was he thinking??

I generally just wet any cut edges that are butted up as they draw the moisture out of the plaster pretty rapidly

obviously make sure you've got the ivory side facing out!

6. madidus

madidus New Member

Ivory side out? Are you ABSOLUTELY sure about that? ;)

7. nicknuv

nicknuv New Member

To make it foolproof, plasterboards now say something like; 'Plaster other side only'...

8. Late Sutton

Late Sutton New Member

OK Thanks for that

9. mungo.

mungo. New Member

100% sure madidus, if not ive done a fair few jobs wrong over the years. Look at a sheet of plasterboard,you'll see that on the front(ivory face)the paper wraps around each long edge and is then overlaid on the back,this seals in the edges when they butt up to each other. if not convinced look at a feather edged board(used if taping and jointing)as its pretty obvious which way roundit goes to leave a recess for your tape and jointing compound.
    This is the correct way to fix and plaster plasterboard if you did it any other way you'd probally 'get away with it' but it would be wrong.

10. Gor Blimey mungo I have been getting away with it,.... it being wrong and all..... for twenty five years now countless thousands of metres, perhaps I will be getting a few hundred irate phone calls in the very near future.
    Still eh ..I have "got away with it" for a quarter of a century so far.

11. mungo.

mungo. New Member

sheeeet robbo a whole quarter of a century?

the 'getting away with it' bit refers to the plastering mdf thread where people have been giving **** advice about stuff they havn't got a clue about and now here i am doing the same!

heres a question for you robbo, take 2 sheets of pb,ones foil backed the other ones standard,both have the same ivory/grey faces agreed? turn em round and you've got the foil on one and brownish colour paper on the other, obviously your not going to skim the foil,are you??? so the board must be designed to be plastered on the ivory face ,yes?? no?? one of us is gunna have to change our number mate!!!
    can someone come in and put one of us right,
    cheers

12. You skim the "TAPERED" not feathered edge of plasterboard as well as taping them.....So what are you saying that the clear wording " PLASTER THE OTHER SIDE" printed on plasterboards is a joke at our expence ....a mistake.....or possibly every one but you is doing it wrong. For Gods sake can it really be any clearer you spanner.
    D.J. the cowboys who pretend they are plasterers and call p.b's feathered edge boards are at it again mate ...sort it out lad.
    Errrr every foil backed I have skimmed is ivory faced and the paper tape goes to the non ivory side for a reason , the exact opposite of the one you gave. Give it up mungo and go back to your cosy office job.

13. Quote.... this is the correct way to fix and plaster plasterboard, if you did it the other way you'd probably get away with it, but it would be wrong. Errrr you say this was a direct reference to the plastering mdf thread where people were... ahemm cough cough ...giving **** advice.
    Well try as I might I have failed to break the code or fathom the real meaning behind that statement which you state is about something else completely, rrrriiiiiightttt!
    Are you in intensive training for the stupidest man on the planet competition by any chance

14. panlid

panlid New Member

oh someone make it stop please:(

15. dj.

dj. New Member

**** me, i have said this so many times. some boards are brown on both sides, some are ivory on one and brown on the other. usually, if you care to take a second to look...
    IT STATES ON THE BOARD WHICH SIDE TO ******* PLASTER

it is really that simple!!!

16. mungo.

mungo. New Member

Spanner??? ive got feelings you know,
    sorry folks here we go again
    as i said feather edge is used for taping and jointing,your getting yourself all confused.
    look at a sheet of gyproc wallboard on the brown side your bang on right robbo it says 'plaster other side' and what colour do you think the other side is you div? oh **** me its ivory.
    don't know where you do your countless thousands of metres but i'm in sunny essex and the only pb iv'e used is brown/ivory,looks like we're probally arguing the same point and one of us is severly colourblind or you've used a different type a board since about 1981,who knows?

what a do know is that you need to read posts properly before you shoot em down, that way you wont make yourself look a ****
    i'm off to pick up me suit from the dry cleaner so i'm good to go on monday morning,
    cheers

17. nearnwales

nearnwales Member

If am reading it right the lad never said a word wrong

''Look at a sheet of plasterboard,you'll see that on the front(ivory face)the paper wraps around each long edge and is then overlaid on the back,this seals in the edges when they butt up to each other'

hes saying the paper lip should be on the back of the board where it should be, regardless of the colour of the pbs.

and sometimes it don't said plaster other side only all the time.
    also if someone said to me a feather edge board i know what they meant, tapered ,feather edge same thing depends where you live i guess people call things different

18. seems indeed I was indeed misreading the post, though it was not all that clear. point conceded ...pride comes before a fall and admit to my error...now how about plastering that cast stove of yours mongo????????????

19. seems indeed I was misreading the post, though it was not all that clear. point conceded ...pride comes before a fall and admit to my error...now how about plastering that cast stove of yours mongo????????????

20. mungo.

mungo. New Member

Cheers Robbo
    i was rambling abit,it has to be said,
    ive had a rethink on the stove i'm going to artex it!!!take it easy
    mongo