Plastic enclosure for a clock pcb

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by techie, Nov 6, 2021.

1. techie

techie Screwfix Select

Hi all
    Building a large 6 led number display clock to mount in a barn. I thought buying a plastic enclosure for it would be easy- so didn’t look until I now have the pcb ready. I can’t find anything large enough that doesn’t cost mega-bucks.

Internal dims need to be approx 315+ x 100mm. The depth can be anything as long as it's greater than 75mm.
    Ideally the transparent lid would be red, but I can live with clear top.
    Any ideas would be helpful,thank you

2. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Screwfix Select

Any number of click lock food containers probably suit this application unless you don’t like the aesthetic of what will clearly be a bit of Tupperware on the wall.

otherwise try acrylic display manufacturers. Loads around. Generally serving the retail and shopfitting market. Most can do bespoke but for a one-off it’s probably more expensive that what you’ve already found.

Try these chaps for starters.

https://www.3ddisplays.co.uk/#

Or these but won’t do bespoke. Generally lots of acrylic boxes (not enclosed but you could adapt something) available sold as steps-ups for displays.
    These guys might be trade only. Can’t recall.

https://www.morplan.com/gb_en

3. Tony Goddard

Tony Goddard Screwfix Select

Up until a couple of years ago I taught Electronics part time at a local school - I would suggest dropping a line to the head of DT at your local secondary - most DT departments now have a laser cutter which can make short work of an enclosure, and as most departments are cash strapped they are often more than happy to run something up for a few quid, we certainly did a lot of little jobs for people.

To give you an idea of what can easily be made, the attached are pics of an interactive sensory toy built by a 12 year old year 8 pupil (quite a talented lad) in my electronics club, cutting all the panels for this took the machine under 10 mins and an experienced CAD operative can lay it out in not much longer.

Attached Files:

4. techie

techie Screwfix Select

Thanks both. Food for thought, although I don’t think Ill get away with a tupperware box..might make me take it down!

5. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Have a look at RS Components and Farnell.

6. techie

techie Screwfix Select

Ta Bazza, had a look already mate. Checked all the usual supects.

7. ElecCEng

ElecCEng Screwfix Select

What about an old plastic CU with a flip down transparent cover? I change out several of these a month which just go to the recycling centre.

8. techie

techie Screwfix Select

Good idea, I’ll have a look some old consumer units….
    Thanks

9. ElecCEng

ElecCEng Screwfix Select

I’m pulling out a Hager next week, if only there was a way of getting to to you!

10. techie

techie Screwfix Select

No worries,ElecCEng thanks for the thought any way