Plastic Pipe in Drop Pipe CH Systems

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by iamalyon, Dec 29, 2004.

1. iamalyon

iamalyon New Member

Hi,
    Does any have experience of drop pipe CH systems. I will be installing a new CH system at the end of Jan, and I have been looking around at the various pipe types available - I think I'm going to go for the speedfit barrier pipe, but the John Guest website states:

"Care should be taken when designing and installing a central heating system where radiators are supplied by pipework which drops from an upper floor.

With this kind of system it is possible to trap air in the upper floor pipework. When the boiler is fired the increase in pressure within the pipe caused by expanding air could cause the pipe to burst.

It is therefore essential that the system be designed so that any air can be removed from the system either automatically or manually by installing automatic or manual air vents at the highest points of the system."

Is there really a need for the above or are the manufacturers covering their ***'s? Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. doitall

doitall New Member

Like most modern technoligy plastic pipe has its use.

Would I install a complete system with it ??

Not a cat in hells chance.

Yes it does burst, and yes the manufacturers will deny any problem, and getting it straight and air free is like finding tonights lotto numbers.

3. iamalyon

iamalyon New Member

Thanks doitall for your response. I've been reading your other posts from topics in Oct regarding plastic pipe (speedfit/hep20).

Have you had much experience with plastic pipe/push fit connectors?

My main reason for choosing plastic was the ease and speed aspects. I am a realitively a novice who will be doing the install myself, my old system is a single pipe loop with a Baxi Bermuda back boiler - which is all coming out to fit a Baxi 105e combi, eight new Heatline rads and two towel rails.

What would your recommendation be for new pipework (copper/solder, copper/compression, or copper/pushfit)?

4. doitall

doitall New Member

You could say I've used miles of the stuff, for domestic hot and cold water and very little for heating, simply because I don't trust the stuff and your first comments from Speedfit, which incidentally is mirrored by hep2ยบ.

I would use copper with soldered fittings, but that depends on your skills.

5. iamalyon

iamalyon New Member

Solering skills = Zero!!

Following your comments I think I might go for my 2nd option of copper and pushfit joints.