Please help, multiple water pipe, hole problem.

Discussion in 'Getting Started FAQ' started by Dayn, Aug 5, 2021.

1. Dayn

Dayn New Member

Hello.
    Sorry for the long question.

Can anyone please help. I have real problem in my bathroom. I live alone, and am not experienced at all in DIY.
    There is a hole about 6 inch square, in a really awkward to reach part of the inbuilt bathroom cupboard.
    As the cupboard is right next to the toilet.

The hole has a messy assortment of both copper, and pvc mains water pipes coming through it.

This summer I have been plagued but celler spiders, I have managed to block up the lounge, and kitchen.
    But they were coming through this hole, in the bathroom floor.

My brother and I, (not having a clue) filled it with steel wool, mixed with silicone. <(As I had Googled and seen people doing this for gaps.)
    And then we put "Ronseal - Smooth Finish Exterior Multi Purpose Ready Mix Filler."

Within 1 day, the whole thing had gone rusty. (This was last week.) And now the bathroom, has a vile smell in it. And I am unsure if the water in my house also has a strange taste. or if its the air, and the constance odd taste in my mouth is causing it.
    I am also unsure if within the week, this "job" has affected the pipes already.

I have been waiting, trying to see if the smell, and taste goes away. It isnt.

So for days I have been doing all I can, (online, as I dont know anyone with plumbing knowledge.) -to find what is the best way to seal an odd hole around copper, and pvc pipes.

1- I have read on one forum, that expanding foam is safe, and another that its not the way to go, in case there is a leak..
    2- And the same with steel wire wool, (just on its own.) one forum said it was perfectly safe to use packed around copper, and pvc. But another was talking about the different metals corroding each other, and fumes and the like.
    3- I also ready that silicone is not supposed to be used for soft metal, copper.

Can anyone please let me know what is the safe,- (for the water, the pipes, and no fumes,) -way to fill an odd quite large hole around mains copper, and pvc pipes please.

I would really appreciate any help.
    Thank you .

2. Are u able to take a photo of the area?

Can’t imagine what you have done will effect your water or your taste, and I’d be surprised if it was causing a very strong smell.

I would have thought a bit of expanding foam would be the way to go, or even maybe some insulation stuffed in the hole.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2021
  3. Dayn

Dayn New Member

Hello pppmacca43

Thank yo for the response.
    Yes I have just managed to take a couple of shots. I hope they show the situation. There is another hole behind that I didnt mention in the post above. It was done ast the same time. coming through the wall.
    I would be looking for repair that as well, in the same way.
    20210805_195820.jpg 20210805_195951.jpg

4. First thing I would do is take all that out and clean it up as best you can. You could try a bit of expanding foam maybe, but you have to be careful with it, it can get messy. I’m sure someone else will have some ideas for you.

5. Dayn

Dayn New Member

Thank you so much. But does expanding foam affect copper, and pvc pipes?
    I cannot seem to find a definitive answer to this. Is it safe with these two materials.

Also is wire wool safe on its own.
    And also could the integrity of the pipes been affected in one week.

If you pppmacccca43 or anyone else knows the answer to this I would really appreciate it.

Best Regards.

6. Attached Files:

7. Dayn

Dayn New Member

HI pppmacccca43.
    I am sorry for the late reply I didnt know you had posted.

And thank you so much for this help. It is so much appreciated.
    I wont keep going on, but if I might ask you please.

I already had some expanding foam.
    Everbuild Fix and Fill Quick Setting Expanding Foam.

Or

fischer 42748 B3 Expanding Hand Foam, Yellow

Would either of these make any difference to the polycell brand.
    Forgive me mentioning these alternatives, BUt as they dont sell any of these products on Screw-FIx at present.

I actually asked a question on Amazon, on the "Everbuild foam." before asking on here. And had a reply form the manufacturer. But to be honest, I didnt know is they were saying yes its OK. or no dont use on water pipes. it was this.
    I asked.

"Would this be safe (for the water) to use around both copper, and pvc mains water pipes. i cant lag as the hole is very odd, and in an awkward place."

And the manufacturer answered.
    "The product is not WRAS or DWI approved for water contact and is open cell so will not fully seal a hole however the product causes no reaction with copper or PVC. Applying moisture to the surface prior to using will increase performance."

But as Im a complete amateur in this field, the answer seemed a bit confusing. So after many more searchers I asked on here.

Would yo think this "Everbuild Fix and Fill Quick Setting Expanding Foam," or the "fischer 42748 b3 expanding hand foam," would be safe to use like the Polycell?

Thank you so much again.
    And please forgive my utter lack of knowledge.

8. Will be fine. What they are saying is it’s not suitable for direct contact with the actual water itself in the pipes(not that you would ever use it like that), but is completely fine to use around the pipework and won’t cause any adverse reaction to the pipework materials.

Obviously follow the instructions on the tin. You don’t need to use much it expands a lot. Wear gloves, if it gets on your hands it’s very sticky, there are quite often a pair supplied with the tin.

9. Dayn

Dayn New Member

pppmacccca43.

I honestly cant thank you enough for your time today.
    So basically any of the brands will be safe. <--if this is right, thank you.

If I may ask 3 last (very quick questions.) I hope you dont mind.
    And I wont keep bothering you after.

The first two are the ones I really would like to know. As due to my lack of knowledge the problems I caused last week.
    But the 3rd question, I am curious.

1- I now know thanks to you that any brand of expanding foam is safe, and fine with copper.
    Does this also apply to the pvc pipes?

2- Do you knwo anything about steel wool? Does it cause any reaction to copper, or pvc water pipes?

And finally 3. (And just for my own information.)
    I missed this earlier. But you mentioned "or even maybe some insulation stuffed in the hole."
    What type of insulation were you meaning please.

Again, I hope you dont mind. I wont bother you further. I REALLY appreciate your help, and the link, and your knowledge.

Deleted member 246321 likes this.
  10. 1: yes will be fine.

2: Not that I know of. It’s used by plumbers for cleaning/shining up copper pipes.

3: Just like loft insulation, the mineral wool type or similar

11. Dayn

Dayn New Member

pppmacca43
    I really appreciate the help and time you have given me.

Thank you so much.

Very Best Regards.

Deleted member 246321 likes this.