Please help total beginner with 1930s internal doors

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Littlefoxspirit, Sep 9, 2019.

1. Littlefoxspirit

Littlefoxspirit New Member

Hello!

Recently bought a 1930s property with some of its original features, including its lovely original internal doors.
    They are in need of serious TLC but I’m concerned about trying something out and ruining them. I have no idea what I’m doing!

So the doors looked like they have been stripped and unfinished. They are bare wood, pretty greasy and have had the door handles replaced leaving holes on show. The bathroom door is also water stained too.

Where do I start. We’d love to keep them ‘natural’.

I’d really love some guidance if possible; What products to use to clean up and fill holes and make them unnoticeable (if possible)? Do I sand the doors? What do I treat them with?

I feel stupid just writing this!

Thank you for reading, you lovely people

Attached Files:

2. dobbie

dobbie Well-Known Member

You could fit new Rimlocks, which is where the holes have come from as they would have been original to the doors.
    You can get them in allsorts of different finishes nowadays, they are quite popular again with some people and would make the doors look original.

Muzungu and CGN like this.
  3. teabreak

teabreak Well-Known Member

As far as filling is concerned you cannot completely hide it just clean out any dirt or old finish and use a proper wood filler not polycell type stuff.
    This sort of thing. https://www.toolstation.com/everbui...MIl-vTtLvD5AIVg7HtCh2u5gTFEAQYASABEgL7A_D_BwE
    The marks are just character.;)
    If the doors are unfinished great, you have a fresh canvas, but if they have been oiled or waxed you are stuck with that finish, otherwise it's up to you, a clear satin varnish would be my personal choice but have a Google for finishing stripped doors" and see what floats your boat!:)
    Cleaning is best done with sugar soap to remove grease from hands or cooking, rinse thoroughly afterwards.

4. teabreak

teabreak Well-Known Member

5. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Well-Known Member

As the doors originally had rimlocks, I agree this is a good solution. However, I wouldn't worry too much about a bit of character - it tells a little of the history of the house.

6. CGN

CGN Well-Known Member

My 30’s house has all the original doors and has rimlocks. Perfect solution if you want to keep the natural look and hide the holes.

7. Muzungu

Muzungu Active Member

Another vote for rimlocks, they would look great.

8. Littlefoxspirit

Littlefoxspirit New Member

Thank you all so much! I’m going to be doing some shopping later on! Really appreciate the help on here.

I will definitely be back... this whole house has a lot of er... fine tuning to be done haha