Plumber accidentally bored holes in external wall!

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by BraveDIY, Sep 15, 2021.

1. BraveDIY

BraveDIY New Member

Hi.

A plumber accidentally drilled two 130mm diameter holes through the wall of my flat with a core drill. One of them could be turned into a vent. Can anybody tell me what I need to buy and do to do this? I'm sure simply screwing grills either side isn't the way to do it - that just seems barbaric.

Any help would be great!

2. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Screwfix Select

Any reason that you’re not insisting that the plumber rectify their mistake? The correct repair is to take out the remainder of the damaged bricks and rebuild that section of wall to match original.

Otherwise vent or preferable a blanking plate either end and stuff the void with insulation. Not really what you want to do though.

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  3. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

How does someone 'accidentally' bore not one, but two 130mm holes in an external wall?
    I burned out a drill trying to bore a similar hole in my external wall, and it was damned hard work doing it ... far from accidental, and extremely deliberate!o_O

quasar9, WillyEckerslike and CGN like this.
  4. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

One job I had it took two hours to core a hole out the bricks were that hard. It took several minutes to SDS even 6-8mm holes! I've not seen bricks that hard before - or since thankfully.
    Memories of that job flashed back when I saw that two had been done by mistake!

quasar9 and rogerk101 like this.
  5. BraveDIY

BraveDIY New Member

To all above. They were drilled in the wrong place. Paid cash. He ghosted. Lesson learned. Never pay cash.

So now I have two holes.

How do I turn one into a vent PROPERLY.

6. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

BraveDIY likes this.
  7. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

One is careless two is moronic.

rogerk101 likes this.
  8. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

New bricks and replace and make good. Easy job although may take a morning. Duck tape surrounding brick faces and new bricks and fit in. Point up. Remove tape when done. I enjoyed doing those but maybe it's just me.. Ha.. Red or yellow sand?

9. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

never thought of the duct tape..nice idea

Wayners likes this.
  10. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

IMG_20210916_151039.jpg

No picture of duck tape covering but I go mad with it covering everything.
    Makes it easy as I ain't no brick layer. Ha. Wang it in with hand and whatever tools I have and hose pipe run along to finish joint. Might wedge joints with the odd stone to pack and line up but that's a cheat. Don't take long. Used yellow sand 5-1 mix

IMG_20210916_151005.jpg

ElecCEng likes this.
  11. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

tidy job!

Wayners likes this.
  12. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

"To drill one hole might be regarded as a misfortune, to bore two looks like carelessness", with apologies to Oscar Wilde.

rogerk101 likes this.