Plumber caused a leak, now need new filter?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Joey Ramone, Oct 7, 2021.

1. Joey Ramone

Joey Ramone New Member

Here's a quick run down of the story:

Had a new Ideal Logic boiler installed two years ago in 2019.
    It was due it's second annual service so got that done two days ago.
    Put heating on and there was a leak coming from the filter (a black thing outside of the boiler).

During the first service, the engineer tipped out a black liquid from a long drawer thing I think it was. I didn't see him do this during this years service (but wasn't present for a fair amount of it).

We've had an engineer back since who has said the filter is leaking and the installer should have left a spanner to get into the boiler (I don't think they did) and a service pack. The service pack was left but I'm a little concerned the seals have gone only two years into operation and only seemed to happen after the service.

Although the service pack of seals were in the flap of the boiler, the engineer asked whether we had it and in the meantime, they would speak to suppliers to see if they could get one anyway. Turns out, despite being just two years old (!) they can't get hold of another service pack, which means a brand new filter at £200+

On the second visit, the engineer said the repair should be covered by warranty anyway but should I be approaching Ideal about this? Is the filter part of the boiler (even though it's physically outside)?

Don't particularly need to worry now as we DO have the service pack of seals but if they only last two years, I guess I'm going to need some more so would prefer to always have a spare set with the boiler.

The company seems quite nice but I'm not sure what to make of all this.
    The original installer is a different person to who services the boiler as covid made a mess of stuff, so decided to stick with the new service engineer for continuity.

2. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

The filter is nowt to do with the manufacturer of the boiler.
    Spanner to get into a boiler ? Do you mean spanner to open the filter ?

3. Joey Ramone

Joey Ramone New Member

Possibly yes.
    I asked in another thread about that.
    Have sent an email to Ideal about it.

My filter is black but the one on their website is metal:
    https://idealheating.com/products/ideal-system-filter

4. exbg

exbg Active Member

The plumber probably did not “cause a leak”, you are the victim of poor product and design. He should have left the spanner, though.

pppmacca43 likes this.
  5. jonathanc

jonathanc Screwfix Select

Get the plumber back. You don’t pay for a service to be left with a leaking system. He probsbly took the filter apart instead of pulling the magnet and draining the filter. Blaenau it before…

6. exbg

exbg Active Member

I always take it apart - you need to inspect for and clean off any magnetite on the magnet. Draining will not do that

RobJamesHeating likes this.
  7. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Photo of your filter would be useful. As others have said almost certainly nothing to do with your boiler. The filters usually, depending upon model, come with a large ring spanner to remove the lid. Seals don't generally need replacing on the filter, never replaced mine when I clean it out. I think there may be some confusion going on with terminology here between yourself and the service engineers.

Photo of filter to confirm.

8. Tilt

Tilt Screwfix Select

If just flushing then you would usually just pull the magnet out then just flush the filter through as is, in situ.
    Unless yours is a different design and the magnet is in the water itself.........is it ??????

Mine doesn't get magnetite on the magnet...........It's captured inside the filter, on the magnet housing / sleeve.

I still take mine apart though as cannot remove the magnet due to tight space.

9. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

Using the OPs link to the filter, it is from Ideal too and installation takes the boiler to a 10yr warranty - so there is a definite link between the two.

10. Tilt

Tilt Screwfix Select

You wanna read that again bud.......

I think you will find it says that this 'Magnetic boiler FILTER comes with a ten year warranty'.

It extends the Vogue warranty from 8 years to ten years....

11. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

OK, that references the Vogue, however the Logic are supplied with them:

upload_2021-10-7_17-56-6.png

12. jonathanc

jonathanc Screwfix Select

No you don’t. You need to follow the manufacturers instructions for servicing.

whoever did the service did not follow the instructions: they are on the ideal website installer section. And disturbed the seals causing a leak. It’s their fault they need to fix it

Muzungu likes this.
  13. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

14. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

Unless I’ve missed something, we don’t know that it’s an Ideal filter. If it needs a key it sounds more like a magnaclean or similar. A photo would be good.

15. Severntrent

Severntrent Screwfix Select

I thought the magnaclean instructions suggested you change the seal everytime you open it ( not that I do)?

16. dcox

dcox Screwfix Select

Do they? I don’t either. Worst ones I’ve come across for leaking are the TF1s - leaking where the plastic threads join the pipework. I dread cleaning those.

17. Tilt

Tilt Screwfix Select

ok. Some may think I'm 'splitting hairs' but installation of their own filter doesn't "take the boiler to a ten year warranty", as you stated, except on the Vogue.

Admit it if you like, when you read it 'taking the boiler to a ten year warranty, you misread it........ Suitable for use with all Ideal boilers, this magnetic boiler filter comes equipped with an impressive 10 year warranty and features a compact design.

The Logic Max's in your link come with their own filter supplied and a ten year warranty.

I have a Logic Heat and it did not come with their own filter AND the Op has a black one fitted which is not Logic's own....

I just didn't want anyone to think that just by adding one of their filters it would take their boiler to a ten year warranty.

18. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

TF1s have a removable magnet and drain so no need to removed the (impossible to twist) lid.

19. Joey Ramone

Joey Ramone New Member

Well, it seems I was wrong on all fronts.

Nice plumber turned up today.

The seal was gone on the filter, which I thought was strange after just two years? Maybe not. But plumber showed me but I didn't really know what I was looking at. Then when he'd gone, I inspected further and saw it was sort of disintegrating as i curled it round my fingers. But that means the last washer thing in the service pack of replacements may also last two years, then I need a new filter at £200+.

The filter I have is a Instinct Eco-Mag, which apparently has a two year guarantee but the plumber says it's a Pochin own brand? But also that they don't even make that filter any more as it's a bit of a rubbish design. So hopes of getting new washers is pretty low. For some reason, I assumed the person who put the boiler in would have used a filter that is manufactured by the same company.

Oh and the stop tap is seized too.
    The stop tap in the street actually feeds four houses, ours is one of the last. Plumber said it's likely (if they were to replace the one in the house), they'd leave the one in situ and put a new one in lower down. (I already tried to douse it in lubricant but that was about a week ago. Plumber said he didn't want to twist it any more as it's likely it would snap off and we'd flood.)

We've had a bit of bad luck with this area of the house :( The day after we had the boiler fitted, the fridge broke (it had been working fine for 4 years previous). The fridge had to be moved to gain access to the boiler area. Emergency electrician + new part, which led on to a new consumer unit (but now safer electrics) = quite a bit of money spent. Now we've had the boiler serviced and the filter all of a sudden starts leaking. Just bad luck I guess.

20. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

It is possible to make up an O ring to size if you can't get hold of one. Try this link for example; choose your diameter, cut to length and glue. Nitrile rubber should stick with cyanoacrylate glue (super glue).