plumbers mate

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by hammer, Feb 16, 2005.

1. hammer

hammer New Member

did c&g plumbing 13 years ago, due to birth of daughter could not afford job as plumbers mate and drifted into computers. looking to get a position as a mate but as i'm in my early forties, no one wants to know, they all want young kids. live in hertfordshire and would be willing to work weekends for nothing just to gain experience. anyone tell me best way to get started again.

2. plumbill

plumbill New Member

I would definitly stick with the computers mate!

3. plummit

plummit New Member

Nice call plumbhill,
    I guess you were born a plumber as apposed to be trained up as one. If I am wrong, then It's my guess that you were taught by somebody. Now, (just a guess again), that a particular, or a few plumbers put up with your ***** pipe work, poor soldering slow workmanship, and general missmatch of plumbing work. Its very easy to be high and mighty, but takes more effort to help someone out. I'm sure you are a competant plumber, but someone taught you. Cut a little slack, and if the original poster of this "thread" reads this, I am in desperate need of a computer literate person, to get my daughter off this computer, get hers up and running and show me how to type an estimate in less than 2 hours. Without wasting a full realm of quality paper.

4. martinbristol

martinbristol New Member

lol,nice call plummit,
    simon I'm in a similar position,did nvq2 a couple of years ago,but had mortgage etc,I'm just sold my house given up my job,and I am looking for work as a mate to get experience,have done a few jobs for friends and family but I think the only way is to try to go it alone,if you're like me the only thing holding you back is confidence,just try to put yourself out there hopefully the rest should follow,
    good luck