Plunge saw - Makita v Dewalt

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Budvar, Mar 3, 2010.

1. Budvar

Budvar New Member

I've been looking at the Makita SP6000 and Dewalt 520 plunge/rail saws, and wondered if anyone had had the pleasure of using both and could recommend one over the other?

Cheers

2. busy builder

busy builder New Member

Get a Festool TS55, save a few bob and get a used one off fleabay.
    Its the best tool investment I have ever made.Make sure you get 2 1400mm tracks and even the smaller 800mm is handy for smaller cuts.
    Also the angle setter is good for mitre cuts.

This saw makes wet walling and door trimming an absolute doddle.

3. mikejoiner

mikejoiner Member

I think they will be about the same. i had the 28v dewalt one and it kept cutting out so swapped it for the 110v version and its great. the good thing with the dewalt one is that you can cut on both sides of the rail where as the makita just one.which ever one you go for i dont think you will be disappointed

4. wuddy

wuddy Member

ive got the 28v and it has the same problem cutting out
    it can be a pain in the ****, its fine cutting thin stuff and if you take it slow
    it is a trip in the batterys to stop them getting hot
    i would like an electric one but cordless is so handy and i cant justify having 2

as for rails 1 x 1500 rail is plenty unles your using it in a workshop then a second 1500 or a 3m would save a bit of time

dewalt v makita - ive always preffered makita stuff, seems to last better but i dont suppose there is much in it

5. big all

big all Screwfix Select

i have the dewalt 18v great saw chuggs along on worktop generaly need 2.6ah for 40mm
    but as most off my cutting is sheet off 6to12mm i dont mind at all
    i cut worktop less than 5% of my cuts more than 10% i would definatly be after a larger voltage

one thing i have noticed is without extraction the sawdust gets compacted inside the blade cover at the rear around the riving knife causing drag on the blade and stopping full blade retraction

big all

6. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

Festool is the daddy when it comes to track saws, a proper moneymaker.

7. blueassedfly!

blueassedfly! New Member

iv got the dewalt cos i prefer the plunge action got 2 1500 rails and joiner and an 1000 rail too wouldnt be without it! nearly bought the 2700 rail till i realised it wouldnt fit in the van!

8. Budvar

Budvar New Member

Top replies - thanks. I've got both Mak and Dewalt kit and never had problems with either, and I can get both saws for around the same price so there doesn't seem much in it.

What do you think makes the Festool that much better? They're nearly twice the price of the Mak/Dewalt saws and I notice a few people seem to think it's 'hype' because they were there first. Anything in particular why they're better?

Cheers again

9. blueassedfly!

blueassedfly! New Member

festools are NOT better they where just first! i used a fessy loads with a workmate who has one, but bought the DeWalt cos i prefered the plunge action!

10. Budvar

Budvar New Member

Hi Blue, thanks, that's what I was wondering!

Maybe some of the other festool users can tell me what advantages the TS55 has over the other makes. Good to get both sides of the story!

Cheers

11. big all

big all Screwfix Select

dont forget the dewalt system can also support other tools in there range like circular saw[specific new saws with slots]or routers by using adaptors

i dont know if they are all the same but i love the track on the dewalt
    as long as the track and surface is reasonably dust free you get no slipping
    just mark throw the track on and cut i do add weight with my other hand but i am sure thats only needed for heavyer cuts
    although having said that the harder the blade is cutting the more it pulls the saw down so the rubber gets a better grip

big all

12. busy builder

busy builder New Member

Go and look at the 3 saw systems and look at the quality of them Not much in it between Mak and DeWalt. But Festool are much better built.
    The Festool also has anti chip for cut side as well as track side.Festool put a lot of thought into their machines, for instance take a look at their 4mm planer and compare against any other make, theres no contest.

But you pays your money.......

13. wuddy

wuddy Member

and taken from another site to balance things up

* Anti-kickback. Any woodworker who has ever used a circular saw knows the frustration and the “Oh-no” feeling when the blade binds in the stock and the saw kicks back and reverses direction. The DWS520 implements a feature to eliminate travel-back.
    * The DeWalt saw will operate on the Festool rail or track. This is not possible in reverse; the TS55 saw will not operate properly on the DWS520 track. Fishing for converts? Perhaps, but versatility is king.
    * The DeWalt tool will cut parallel to the floor (as in cutting doors), while the competition won't.
    * Setting of the blade depth. The DW saw takes the track into consideration while the TS55 does not; why bother with more math than needed when working with exotic woods?

14. wuddy

wuddy Member

15. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

When you pick up a TS55 it just feels like a quality piece of kit, neither the dewalt or makita are half the price of the festool either. Dewalt make some shockingly poor quality kit and some makita kit is a bit dubious too. Some brands are always quality like Fein,Maffel,Leigh,CMT,Kreg and others like are a bit hit and miss. When it comes to a £300-£400 saw I would rather pay a bit moreand guarantee quality

16. blueassedfly!

blueassedfly! New Member

always a contencious issue! Which brand is best? and there have been so many threads on the subject, in reality the best thing you can do Budvar, is go and try them out for yourself and make your own decision! i used the fessy and then tried the dewalt and personally prefered the dewalt! give them a try and make your own mind up after all its your money!
    PS the DeWalt is the best of the bunch! ;)

17. Budvar

Budvar New Member

Thanks for all the replies gents, much appreciated.

I'm trying to find a store that will let me cut something, but on feel/action alone I can't tell any real difference and I suppose its how reliable the kit will be over time.

I was hoping for a 'smoking gun' from someone who had a makita or dewalt saw and bought a festool because they had a specific problem or something the festool could do that they couldn't, but it doesnt seem to be the case.

Considering I can pick up a corded dewalt with rails/clamps for around £300, and the festool is nearer £500, I think I'm going for the DW in the short term.

Cheers for all of the replies.

18. big all

big all Screwfix Select

things you can do with a dewalt plunge you can't do with a festool

all without a track ;)

trim doors in situ 12mm+with no need to finnish with another saw
    trim laminate floor edge to give a uniform 12mm all round before fixing skirting on
    undercut skirting in situ before sliding laminate floor under

big all

19. gavin-t

gavin-t New Member

Does the dewalt really take off 12mm as a minimum cut?

I have been looking at getting the 18v version for trimming doors in situ in carpeted houses but if thats the minimum i will stick to the ts55 and my tressels!

Btw i have a festool ts55, i havent used the other two but i love mine to bits! Only only looked at the dewalt for door trimming.

And im sure i have seen somewhere doing a ts55 with a 1400mm guide rail for £291+vat.

Gavin.

20. big all

big all Screwfix Select

yes i thought it was 11mm but when i physicaly clamped a baton and a board side by side and run the skids against the batton and measured the outside edge to the inner edge off the groove/blade cut was 12mm
    if you set the blade depth to the door thickness on the guide it will cut +2mm as its off the track

and if you hold the door open at 90% you can cut in one pass

big all