Plunge saws

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by Geriko, May 2, 2020.

1. Geriko

Geriko New Member

Hi there,

Looking at the more affordable end of the spectrum plunge saws at the moment and I am wondering if anyone had some good recommendations. We're renovating at the moment and I have a cordless Makita circular saw which I love, but I am looking for something more suited to ripping down some large sheet MDF for some cabinetry.

Slightly concerned some of the cheap models on the market are going to be unreliable / have problems with the quality of the rails.

I have seen you can get some brackets for the circular saw which sort of turn it into a track saw (kreg for example) but again, I've no experience with these and if they're really worth buying).

Advice welcomed

2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

I have Titan and disabled the kick back. Supplied runner is fine but not great joined to make longer so i plan to buy evolution or maybe festool 1400mm rail as they are all the same design. Look up Peter Millard track saw on YouTube. He demos cheap track saw vs best track saw. Just make sure that whatever saw you get in comparable with other brands of tracks. I cut doors off fine with supplied blade but some get better blade. Depends what your cutting

3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I’ve also got the Titan track saw and well happy with it. Have a few different blades depending on what I’m cutting, top blade for me is a 60 tooth Freud blade - astonishingly clean cuts in all materials

As to supplied track, have heard similar problems as yours with misalignment where it joins

I’ve not had a problem with mine and join is seamless when both connectors are tightened up. Maybe your tracks or connectors have had a whack and been bent ?

I’ve also got a spare set of tracks, Triton from SF and these also are 2x700mm tracks (same as Titan tracks) Join on these are fine as well

Maybe you’ve been unlucky or as above, tracks have become damaged / chucked around in back of van or on work sites ?

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Screwfix used to sell the Titan plunge / track saw and it always received great reviews. Came complete with 2x700mm tracks and sold for around £100.00

I’ve used mine loads and gotta be one of my favourite and most used tools

Have a selection of blades and change over as depending on what I’m cutting

However, the Titan saw is no longer available from SF. They still sell the Titan range but unfortunately not this saw

I’ve seen several online/eBay, both used and new so worth a look

SF seem to have taken on the McAllister range in a big way, as streamlining product ranges same as B&Q as both owned by Kingfisher

I’ve not used the McAllister plunge saw but take a look at some reviews and I will guess most are favourable ? (But this is just a guess)

As with most tools, depends on predicted usage and wether or not this is being used for occasional diy usage or heavier / more regular pro work

You wanna go top range Festool £700 ish then that’s great

There’s a great online review from a respected woodworker who compares quality and finish between the Titan and Festool saws

Considering £600 difference in price, he could find very little to grumble about the Titan and remarkable similar cutting results

Yeah yeah yeah you say ...... own brand tools, no service, no spares, no backup whereas the big brands you get all that but .......

Yeah I’m waffling,,,,,, interesting though (perhaps) :)

5. Geriko

Geriko New Member

Thank you @DIYDave. @Wayners. It's a real shame they don't do the Titan anymore. I seem to hear a lot of people saying good things about it at the cheaper end of the market. I will have to see if I can track one down for a reasonable price.

6. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Scheppach, Macalister, Titan were the same. Probably made in same factory. Not sure that's the case now though.

7. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

@DIYDave. Track needs filling so it will line up on titan. It's on my list to sort but thinking I'll just buy new track. I also bought track clamps and they are great. Need a sheet of insulation to put on the floor to cut on as that's the best Idea ive seen using track saw. The 24 tooth blade is fine for doors I think. Maybe not for hardwood doors but not tried. What do you cut with 60 tooth?

8. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I’ve also got the Triton Track Clamps and yes, superb, more so when making long cuts and you need super accuracy

The non-slip foam under tracks is pretty grippy but it’s easy to put sideways pressure on the saw and move the track a tiny bit so better to clamp

I treated myself to the 60 tooth as had wanted a better blade for some time as has some Conti Board type sheet to cut down to shelve out a wardrobe. I’m a fussy whatsit so really didn’t want any chips to the face of shelves so more teeth, better the cut

Also had a couple of oak veneer doors to trim down for a mate so needed a higher tooth blade, again, a perfect result with no chips or tear out to veneer

24 blade as supplied is fine on MDF or rough cuts so keep the Freud for detailed jobs

Always cut face down and couple mm into some ‘sacrificial’ board for best results ,,,,, but this you know :)

Good luck sorting out your track, worth some time fettling to get a smooth transition or invest in one piece longer track but can be pricy

9. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Kingspan insulation or similar seems the best sacrificial board to cut on @DIYDave.

10. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Never tried that but then don’t have any to hand either

I’ve got various lengths of MDF offcuts I keep for this purpose and can reuse over and over again

If cutting down a door, 2 B&D Workmates with a reinforced 6’ length of 18mm ply clamped in the jaws, 3 lengths of MDF spaced under the door to keep flat and I’m cutting into the 3rd length by say 2mm

Works for me anyway !

11. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

@DIYDave. Chuck insulation on the deck and away you go. I use 2 homebase saw horses similar to your way clamped,when I seen the installation trick I thought that's the way to do it.