Plywood priming

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Jamesplumb86, Jun 28, 2021.

1. Jamesplumb86

Jamesplumb86 New Member

Hello, I'm looking to prime structural plywood, I have some unibond pva super concentrated would this be OK to use
    Thank you for any response

2. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

What’s going over the ply once you’ve primed ?

ie, you tiling or painting or other ?

Generally NO to the PVA, but let us know the wider plan

3. Jamesplumb86

Jamesplumb86 New Member

I'm putting a tile membrane over the ply before tiling,

Thanks for your response

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Check the instal instructions for the particular membrane that your using - best fo follow manufacturers instructions

I’ve used Ditra Mat over ply and this requires just dampening the ply with water before spreading modified thin set adhesive to bond mat to ply

I’m assuming that the thin set has all that’s needed added to the powder, and by dampening the ply first, this just prevents the water being sucked out the adhesive too quickly and affecting the bond

What membrane system are you using ?

5. Jamesplumb86

Jamesplumb86 New Member

I'm using the ditra membrane the orange stuff?

6. Jamesplumb86

Jamesplumb86 New Member

Can I use the same flexible adhesive for membrane as I am for the tiling?

7. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I used Mapei Keraset for mine, as your asking, for both the mat and the tiles

Especially important as your tiling over a timber floor so along with the mat, flexible adhesive for a long lasting tiled floor

Just check there’s no bounce to timber floor (or minimum amount) as even with the best mat and adhesives and grouts, there’s only so much flex they can deal with before cracks will appear to grout / tiles

Any weakness in floor, this needs sorting before going ahead with the next stage

Yes, the orange Ditra Mat I used

Hope all goes well

8. Jamesplumb86

Jamesplumb86 New Member

Thanks for your help