Polishich Scratches out of "High Gloss" doors

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Viggenboy, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Viggenboy

Viggenboy New Member

Hi I got myself the bargain of a lifetime in MFI's closing down sale which would be perfect but for a few scratches in a couple of the high gloss black drawer fronts/doors. I don't think anyone other than me would notice it as they are a foot (kicking) level, but if I could polish them out it would be perfect, so...

Can you polish scratched out of these high gloss units, using a car buffer say. I don't want to "have a go" only to end up with bare MDF-- scratches would be better!

Anyone with experience of this??

2. blueassedfly!

blueassedfly! New Member

you could try somthing like autoglym car polish!
    personally i steer clients away from high gloss in the kitchen wether its worktops or frontals! :(

3. gint

gint Member

If its only a couple of doors and you got absolute bargain, just replace scratched ones with identical doors available from Howdens :)

4. blueassedfly!

blueassedfly! New Member

now why didnt i think of that! well done Gint! :)

5. Get replacement doors would be the best option, as previously stated. If you do want to try to get the scratches out, it may be possible, but not if the doors are vinyl wrapped. If the doors are just gloss coated, (which is achieved using a two pack car spray paint), then they can be buffed out if they are not too deep,with a cutting compund, or use T Cut. As a rule of thumb, if you can catch the scratch with your fingernail, it cant be buffed out. Obviously be careful not to go too mad.

6. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Don't bother, you will soon scratch them again! ;)