Pooling on new laid patio.

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by aiwnjoo, May 12, 2021.

1. aiwnjoo

aiwnjoo New Member

Hi, so we live in a new build and our garden has a patio area and then steps in the middle going upto the driveway, the old patio was the standard thick concrete slabs. I asked a friend who had done patio work before to lay me a new patio using indian stone flags, we decided to keep the old patio as a solid base.

The issue with the old patio was there was no natural slope to the drain which is hidden in a corner and the steps sloped down so all the dirt and rainwater would flow down the steps and onto the patio and left a mess and needed regular jet washing.

They started laying the new patio in the corner where the drain was and that was their starting point, so the lowest point then when they laid the rest it should have naturally sloped that way for drainage.

Its rained a few times and i have noticed that now there is a big build up of water pooling in the middle of the patio and when i checked with a spirit level its going the wrong direction for 8-9 flags so its basically either dipped there or was laid wrong.

Here are some pictures, one shows the corner where the drain is (drain just out of shot) and another showing a full view of the patio and then a final showing the pool of water.

Is there anything i can do to remedy this without pulling it all up and redoing. Thankyou.

Attached Files:

2. Dan Greenslade

Dan Greenslade Active Member

Sadly not much you can do other than take those slabs up in that area and relay so that the slope is level in the direction required. Pain in the *** and this should have been done properly by the person laying the patio for you.

3. aiwnjoo

aiwnjoo New Member

Could I add a drain or something or i could take all the flags up and run a drain alongside the house wall but then its two levels.

4. Dan Greenslade

Your best bet is to get him back in to rectify it.. adding a drain will require you to lift it all and put the groundworks in so that would be a fair bit of effort. With a sufficient natural slope and providing he's laid it properly you shouldn't get a pooling issue. He'd have been better off taking up the old patio you had before providing it was a solid foundation to use. Sorry cant be of much more help unless you want to take it up and do it yourself? In which case there are many people here that can guide you through.

5. aiwnjoo

aiwnjoo New Member

Thanks all, looking closely ar 4,5 flags they are lower than the ones next to them therefore its dipped so hes going to take them up and make it level while keeping to the slope over towards the grate, its like the got the spirit level the wrong direction towards the end of the job lol

6. Dan Greenslade

Glad he's coming back to sort it out for you, fingers crossed it sorts your problem out :).. these things do happen from time to time!