Poor flow on upstairs cold taps & cistern

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Hoddo, Apr 5, 2005.

1. Hoddo

Hoddo New Member

I have a problem with my upstairs cold taps, whereby the flow is little more than a trickle. Also, in order for the cistern to refill in my WC, I have to turn on my cold bath tap, then my basin cold tap, then close them both before a trickle starts in the cistern. Hot taps are unaffected (fed from header tank through cylinder), and cold tap in kitchen downstairs is unaffected.
    I have tried turning on all cold taps in the house to remove a possible air lock, to no avail. Has anyone any other ideas of the cause, and simple remedies I can try before resorting to the expense of a professional? Any assistance gratefully received.

2. ponty 01

ponty 01 New Member

the upstairs cold water is fed from the tank in the roof space,check to see if it is filling up.this also fills the cylinder for your hot water.down stairs cold is fed from rising main.might have problem with ball valve,or blockage in tank.

3. Hoddo

Hoddo New Member

The tank in the roofspace is full and refills when the hot taps have been opened. There's no problem with the ball-valve there. Any other ideas?

4. britishblue

britishblue New Member

If you have checked in the cold cistern that there is no debris blocking the outlet to the cold taps, then it sounds like an airlock.

You need to use a hosepipe and connect your mains cold water tap (in the kitchen) to one of the cold upstairs taps. Open the cold upstairs tap and then open the mains water tap for approximately 5 seconds. This should blow the air back into the cold water cistern.

It would help if you have two people involved, in case the hose blows off one of the taps. You don't want to end up with water everywhere.

BB

BB