Poorly fitted carpet. How to hide gaps?

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Rooroooroo, Sep 28, 2021.

1. Rooroooroo

Rooroooroo New Member

My living room carpet was placed not long ago and unfortunately the guys who put it down weren't the best and ended up running off before finishing up.

All the edges have gaps, some wider than others, the one pictured is on the wider side (a little less than 1cm). I've also found spiders chilling out in the gaps which creeps me out.

I'd like to cover the gaps easily without spending much money or time, without having to stretch the carpet etc. A quick fix basically. Something fairly decent looking.
    I don't have skirting boards if that makes any difference.

Screenshot_20210928-154831_Gallery.jpg .
    Please help!

2. pppmacca43

pppmacca43 Super Member

Skirting or a beading fixed to the wall?

3. jonathanc

jonathanc Screwfix Select

Any chance you can pursue the fitters or the retailers for this if they supplied the fitters. That standard of work is a joke.

Do you have any offcuts? If so I would cut back about 6 inches to a foot and heat seam a new piece in then fit properly.

pppmacca43 likes this.
  4. pppmacca43

pppmacca43 Super Member

Best way this for a proper job, or may be easier just to cut your losses and replace the whole carpet properly

5. Rooroooroo

Rooroooroo New Member

Cowboy fitters. They basically ran off with the cash and that was that. I didn't hire them personally, a family member did and has tried pursuing it but not much luck.
    Don't have any offcuts, no.

6. Rooroooroo

Rooroooroo New Member

Can't afford at the moment.

7. jonathanc

jonathanc Screwfix Select

Pop some skirting on?

8. Rooroooroo

Rooroooroo New Member

Would beading work too? Less noticeable on its own?

9. I-Man

I-Man Screwfix Select

depends on the walls - beading usually needs to be pinned

10. AnotherTopJob

AnotherTopJob Screwfix Select

I know you're not keen on stretching the carpet, but going around with a knee kicker might just give you a more acceptable gap?

stevie22 and CGN like this.