Porcelain On concrete

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Muneer Khalid, Aug 23, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Muneer Khalid

Muneer Khalid New Member

I am fitting porcelain tile on to a concrete floor (my entire flat) the flat was built in 2003 and the concrete floor is level and no cracks across the 800sqft.

My understanding is that it needs to be primed/sealed can anyone recommend a good primer/sealer?

Is there anything else I should consider? I hear some talk about matting ? Do I need this given the concrete is on the 4th floor of the building and level with no cracks ?

Any help is appreciated

2. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

I like to use the same brand of sealer as tile adhesive, like Ardex primer & Ardex tile adhesive so it's compatible,& make sure the adhesive is suitable for porcelain tiles

Pollowick likes this.
  3. Pollowick

Pollowick Well-Known Member

And give ARDEX a call ... they will confirm everything you need and compatibility of each with concrete and porcelain tiles.

4. rogerk101

rogerk101 Well-Known Member

I've been tiling for years, and have tiled may times on concrete slabs. I simply wet the concrete and use a good quality flexible slow setting tile adhesive, e.g. Weber. I've never had a problem yet. In other words no priming/sealing/prepping necessary, just damp it so the concrete doesn't suck the moisture out of the adhesive too fast.
    In fact, because of change of plans I have had to remove the odd tile here and there, and they are really hard to get off. Impossible to remove them without breaking them; which means the adhesive really did its job!

longboat and Russel like this.
  5. Russel

Russel New Member

I like this. Ive been priming for many years but not done this (though suspected it would work)
    Good to hear it works

6. KIAB

KIAB Well-Known Member

'ditto'