Porcelain tile adhesive ?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by freecall, Dec 23, 2008.

1. freecall

freecall New Member

can anyone recommend a good adhesive for porcelain wall tiles,preferable ready mixed.been looking at ardex D30.anyone use this stuff?? would appreciate any advise.tiles are large format 600x300mm in a bathroom,no wet areas to speak of really as there will be no shower and a roll top bath installed.

2. RASP-GRASP

RASP-GRASP New Member

There are quite a few on the market, place where you get the tiles from should recommend one.

3. Stench

Stench Member

4. GKU

GKU New Member

Ardex D30 is probably one of the best "Ready-mixed" adhesives there is and I have used it on many occasions (on a number of different substrates) without any problems whatsoever , But I always prefer to use "powdered" adhesive where possible , especially on <u>larger</u> format tiles , if at all possible use powdered adhesive , but if for some reason you cant , then yes , go for Ardex D30 ;)

5. freecall

freecall New Member

thanks alot gents for your advise.just hate having to stop all the time to mix adhesive.if i go for powdered then it will not!be rapid set.

6. Simon J

Simon J New Member

I think the powdered porcel bond from Bal is quite good.

7. tiredandgrumpy

tiredandgrumpy New Member

Bear in mind that your substrate will need priming with an acrylic primer, cement based adhesive for prcelain tiles does not get on well with gypsum based plaster ! BAL APD will do the trick.

8. conlan

conlan Member

Ready mixed is a false economy when it comes to your time. The pros use powdered for a reason. Buy the bal stuff which is ment for porcelain tiles. I just had somebody put tiles up for me. They used ready mixed after a day it was,nt setting and the tiles were sliding down the wall. I took them off and done it with the right stuff.
    The rapid set is a bit of a pain to use as it goes off in about 20mins. But in saying that if you are using big heavy tiles this is probably what you want.

9. bathroom boy

bathroom boy New Member

Dunlop Standard Set Plus which has a working time of about 5 hours, Bal flex also standard set, don't use tubbed carp on large format porcelain.

10. doing a bit

doing a bit New Member

have used ready mixed adhesive with porcelain before now without any problems as long as there is some suction in the wall surface to stiffen the adhesive, just leave battens and spacers in for a day or so,( including 600 x 300 tiles)

11. bathroom boy

bathroom boy New Member

The problem with porcelain is that it isn't porous and if the adhesive is not specific for this type of tile it will not dry out and set, it's needs to be porcelbond.
    I never use tubbed adhesive anymore, bagged is cement based and will not break down when wet like most tubbed stuff.

12. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

As mentioned by the Pro fitters, never use a ready mixed tile adhesive with a heavy Porcelain large format tile.

First of all, the adhesive bed on a large tile needs to be increased, a ready mixed isn't suitable for a thicker adhesive bed.

A ready mixed adhesive relies on the air drying out the adhesive, a larger tile means less grout joints therefore much longer to dry out. A powdered adhesive relies on a chemical reaction for the adhesive to set, depending on whether or not you use rapid set, it's still likely to be set after the specified time, ready mixed is pure guess work and can take several days.

The grip strength of a powdered adhesive is much more suited to Porcelain, even the best ready mixed in the world is a little risky on a very heavy Porcelain.

13. doing a bit

doing a bit New Member

tubbed stuff.

have used it in dry areas only, otherwise a sovereign porcel bond adhesive with flexy additives. ready mixed stuff is easier to clean off the tiles and grout joints :)

14. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

I've not used D30 but many years ago used to use D20, it was the best performing ready mixed adhesive in wet areas, it didn't break down at all when wet.

15. GKU

GKU New Member

D30 is made especially for areas like Domestic / Commercial shower areas , kitchens & bathrooms etc , etc . It works well on most substrates (and also with Porcelain tiles) , when ever I have used it , it has performed well...... having said all that , I still prefer "powdered" adhesive whenever poss. , especially on large format tiles (largely for the reasons that you stated previously) :)

16. Cornish Crofter

Cornish Crofter New Member

DON'T use ready mixed for that size tiles!

I would look for a good fast set from CTD. They were doing a bag for around £5.99 plus VAT in their trade promotions.

If you want to go for a flexible fast set then it's £7.99 plus vat for 20kg. It's called Profix flexible fast set floor and wall tile adhesive. After using this stuff for 600x300 B&Q porcelain floor tiles and some of the wall tiles I can highly recommend it.

Profix are made by BAL. Product Support is given via the area managers rather than BAL technical.

I have used it in a wetroom to lay the floor tiles and some of the wall tiles, when I ran out of White Star. On reflection I wish I had just used the Profix, as it would have worked out cheaper.

17. imran_

imran_ New Member

You are of course all WRONG as you haven't asked what the substrate is (grumpy was closest). I don't see how you can offer advice if you don't know the substrate or the weight of the tile.

BUT.... (gives advice, ha ha) pay a shedload and get BAL powder - you can call them up beforehand, explain the problems and they will tell you what to buy.

As is correct from many, the ready mix stuff relies on water evaporation and is not suited to heavy tiles. Also, whilst the tiles themselves may not absorb water, the same cannot be said from the grout or those tiny gaps you fail to fill. Always a waterproof adhesive..

I'd suggest BAL rapid/flex. But speak to BAL first. It's expensive, but then sit down and cost your time, the grout, the tiles, the earache, the making good, etc, etc. If your walls arern't perfectly level, aquapanel the lot - don't try and save a few quid and plasterboard it....

I can't remember the last time I didn't pay £25/bag of adhesive, and I buy it bulk delivered. Cheap adhesive, expensive (in comparison) tiles, waste of money. IMHO of course.

18. petr

petr Member

I've been using ready mix on large porcelain tiles, partly because I'm not confident about mixing to the right consistency and also because I only have an hour or two at a time to work.

When I first tried to tile over existing tiles, they slid and would not dry. So I smeared a thin layer of adhesive on the tiles and waited 24 hours to dry. Then I put more adhesive on and tiled and they dont slip. They seem prety secure if I try them with my fingers without trying to prise them with anything

However, on a weather board they seemed secure within 24 hours but when I prised the batten out it took the tile with it. It had dried around the edge but was only semi dry inside.

The problem may be I used the wrong primer (diluted adhesive) or I should have waited a few more days to remove the batten. Maybe I should have smeared it with an undiluted coat of adhesive as preparation

I cant see why it shouldnt work once sufficient drying time is given but I dont know how long.

Just keeping my fingers crossed

19. G Brown

G Brown New Member

Petr mate you have not got a clue! Porcelain tiles need a specific adhesive too. Just stop now before all the tiles fall off!

20. ThreadJacker

ThreadJacker Active Member

You need to stop what you are doing....

Raedy mixed adhesive!! heavy porcelain!! tiling over tiles!!!!! :O

1st question.

What is stoping you removing the existing tiles?