Porch damp or condensation.

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Bazz1104, Nov 22, 2013.

1. Bazz1104

Bazz1104 New Member

Hi All, new to the site, so I hope I'm going about this the correct way.
    We've had a porch built 6 months ago, and we've found what looks like mould across the tops of part of the skirting and similar in the corners on the plasterboard. It doesn't feel damp and isn't smelly.
    The porch is brick built, has a solid concrete floor, which has insulation and a damp proof membrane. the walls have cavity wall insulation. The roof is a sloping tiled roof, again this is insulated. There's no heating or wiring in the porch. The door is composite, and there's a single double glazed window. When I was about to order the door and window, the bricky told me to get a window with a trickle vent...which I forgot to do, so our window has no vent. Could this be the cause of what we're seeing....and finally, would having some airbricks fitted help solve this, or fitting trickle vents to the window ?
    Mant thanks for any help or comments.

Cheers
    Baz

2. Almost certainly down to lack of ventilation.

The hot moist air from your house gets into that cold space each time you open the inside door - and condenses on the coldest surfaces where there's least air flow.

It might seem counter-intuitive as having a window cracked open will often make the room feel colder, but it'll clear the condensation.

As to window or brick vent, I dunno - what's easier/cheaper to fit?

ProFast Plastering likes this.
  3. Bazz1104

Bazz1104 New Member

Many thanks for the info, I think air bricks would be more difficult to fit, but give me better results, so I'd like to go with that...but how many and where, would it be 2, one just above floor level and one below ceiling level to let the air flow ?

4. C'MON BUILDERS - WHERE ARE YE?!

5. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

fit a single room heat recovery fan, controlled via a humidistat - air bricks and trickle vents just keep the area constantly cooler than it needs to be, which encourages the formation of condensate - the fan will only extract when it sees a raised humidity level, and will return a significant amount of the rooms heat

also ensure the front doors are air tight or you will be constantly drawing moist air out of the house into the porch, which is no doubt much cooler than the house .............. you''ll know what happens next :)

6. Bazz1104

Bazz1104 New Member

Many thanks for the time and info, it's very much appreciated.

Baz