porch made from timber?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by lilredhen, Mar 27, 2021.

1. lilredhen

lilredhen New Member

Hi, I am thinking of building a porch from timber. How hard can it be?

I already have one side of the porch "built" as that's the side of my living room.

The roof is already in place by those fancy things you put on the house with tiles etc.

So all I need to do is make a timber frame. The bottom of the frame will have lots of bits of time running each way. Then I rest the floor on top of the bottom of the frame.

Then I add windows and a door and that's it?

Am I missing something?

Thanks!

2. Madeofale

Madeofale Active Member

so basicaly you have a canopy over the door already and you going to frame under it and put a door in it?

lilredhen likes this.
  3. goldwise

goldwise Active Member

Be careful. There's a terraced house for sale on rightmove that looks like it's had an apex shed built at the front door. It's been for sale a long while...

lilredhen likes this.
  4. lilredhen

lilredhen New Member

Thank you Goldwise, I hadn't thought of that.

To both of you:

I have attached an image and thinking about it, it's already pretty much there especially with the wall that sticks out from the house? It's 3 x 1m so would I even need a bricky?

What would YOU do?

Thanks so much!

Attached Files:

5. lilredhen

lilredhen New Member

Plus, do I need those "wiggly" bits - are they holding up the roof bit above it? Might be a stupid question so forgive me if is!

6. Madeofale

Madeofale Active Member

That wants doing properly brick upvc etc otherwise i wouldnt bother

lilredhen likes this.
  7. lilredhen

lilredhen New Member

What do you mean exactly?

8. Madeofale

Madeofale Active Member

I presume your planning on going from the window to the block work. And putting a door where the block work is. If so measure it out. Cause if it exceeds 3 square metres im sure thats when you need planning permission

lilredhen likes this.
  9. lilredhen

lilredhen New Member

Thank you very much.