Porch new windows - price

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Muzungu, Jun 10, 2020.

1. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

I wasn't sure if there was any point as the porch is in the shade all day, never catches the sun and I have never opened the current openers, having said that the old wood windows have trickle vents. I may well be missing something and would be glad of being pointed in the right direction if I am.

2. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

In an enclosed area like that, I would in my opinion put vents in. (suppose they could be put in Pvc frames)?
    Otherwise you just might start getting damp/mould issues.
    The old saying, do it right first time, will save you in the long run.

Muzungu likes this.
  3. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

To be honest with you it's a total scam, similar to the nonsense the electricians have to go through, though all window firms who fit day in day out will be registered, but the one man bands may not be, just phone the council and pay a fee and someone will come out for five minutes to check the rating and what have you.

ElecCEng and Muzungu like this.
  4. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

So the quotes come in from £850 to £1600. The lowest quote from a company that has their own manufacturing plant and the only ones that have given me a complete breakdown of costs in an email, biggish setup based a couple of miles from me but only work in the North East.

Just thought it may be of interest.
    upload_2020-6-15_17-44-25.png

5. masterdiy

Dont forget a vent somewhere in the windows. :)

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

But ask for more, more, more than one quote. :oops:

7. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Just noticed an error, the second window height should be the same as the first, they have it 500 mm shorter!

8. Are all the prices to do the job properly?, which means replastering the reveals, fitting window boards and no bodger beads stuck on.

9. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Upvc windows wont look right.

Also if you go upvc they will be much thicker profiles so the glass area will be reduced.

Are current windows fitted behind the stone wall or into the recess, not sure If I have explained this correct?

The only wood I would look at using is acoya (see Mr Rustsy project)

Mr Rusty likes this.
  10. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Thanks Jitender Yes, I agree - uPVC will look really clunky in those narrow openings. Find a local joiners shop and ask them to make up some windows to take DGU in Accoya. This modified timber is virtually 100% stable (so doesn't stress paint finishes) and the chemical treatment supposedly gives it a massive lifespan - it looks and machines like knot-free pine (although it is slightly brittle) but the timber is chemically modified. Cost wise it's about the same as oak, so not cheap but not crazy, and as most of a window is labour won't make much difference. https://www.accoya.com/uk/products/windows-doors/

However, it will definitely cost you more than uPVC. Also, your windows are fixed behind the stone - whatever you do don't let them fix them inside the stone! - uPVC IMHO often looks awful, and I think has the potential to look really terrible if they did that!

Last edited: Jun 18, 2020
    Jitender likes this.
  11. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Next door's UPVC for comparison. I am keeping my wood door though.

Don't know why they put the vertical bar in as well as horizontal, looks odd to my mind in a window that small.

upload_2020-6-18_15-43-28.png

12. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Muzungu likes this.
  13. masterdiy

Well if it were me, I'd go along with the neighbours upvc type, but do away with the Vertical bars.
    And, don't forget a vent .... o_O
    Zero maintenance with UPVC. :)

Muzungu likes this.
  14. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

15. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Had a door made up using sapele from Stairbox, the window sister company.

For the astragal bars they were stuck on. They glass is basically one unit instead of lots made up, which would mean chunkier bars to support the weight.

Go for same window sizes and spacings as they look good as they are.

16. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

17. Frutbunn

Frutbunn Active Member

I note FENSA and building control were mentioned here, a porch is actually exempt from the provisions of Building Regulations.

18. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

Glass and electricals have to comply

19. Muzungu

Muzungu Screwfix Select

Just thought I would give the result. Estimates from £880 to £1600. I was a bit wary of the cheapest estimate as the nearest to it was £1200 so quite a bit cheaper, but I went with the cheapest anyway as they were a local firm with their own manufacturing plant. Pleased with the result. I went for the external glazing bars, not the ones internal to the glazing unit, and the guy has done a good job in my humble opinion, nice profile on them.

upload_2020-7-22_17-3-7.png

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
    gadget man, Jord86 and Mr Rusty like this.
  20. masterdiy

Looks very nice and neat from here.
    Did you go for wood?
    I can't see a vent.....