Porch upgrade

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by mrkjd, Jul 8, 2018.

1. mrkjd

mrkjd New Member

We have what was an open porch on a 70s bungalow which had been enclosed on the 2 open sides with UPVC double glazing and panels at some point. We want to remove the UPVC which looks **** and build a more “permanent” wall. Problem is the porch is only circa 900mm wide so a block cavity wall would be too thick. I was thinking of a hefty stud wall but am unsure of insulating this best or whether there is some funky left field option? The new porch resulting will be heated so insulation is an important consideration. Has anybody any advice on how they would go about this?

2. mrkjd

mrkjd New Member

(Bump) ...... can anybody help?

3. wiggy

wiggy Well-Known Member

4x2 stud wall, 75mm celotex

4. Jitender

Jitender Well-Known Member

May sound a bit extreme but think I would knock it down and restart from scratch.:D

May as well make a cavity and follow permitted development.

5. mrkjd

mrkjd New Member

Thanks for replies. I can’t knock it down as the bungalow roof overhangs it. It was originally an open area under the overhang approx 3m x 1.1m with a support pillar at the front corner. I guess an insulated stud wall is my only real option.

6. Jord86

Jord86 Well-Known Member

Put up a photo.

7. egon999

egon999 Member

porches exempt building regs so no real minimum standards to follow. why heat it tho?
    insulated Stud wall probably best option if you are mad keen to pump heat in