Portable Edge Bander

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Bedroom Fitter, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Bedroom Fitter

Bedroom Fitter New Member

I currently buy cut and edged 18mm mfc boards, but am going to start buying the boards in to cut and edge myself. I haven't got a huge budget and would ideally like a portable unit that I can use on site if neccesary.
    I've seen this virutex thing online, which seems quite expensive for a hot air gun with bolt-ons.

http://www.caldertrade.co.uk/virutex.htm

Has anybody used one of these? Are they any good?

2. kitcheneer

kitcheneer New Member

Virutex make some quite nice stuff, and as far as I know the unit you are looking at is the only thing on the market that will fill your requirements. If you need to edgeband on site then it's either that or an iron.

How are you going to cut the melamine, you will need a good clean edge

3. Bedroom Fitter

The company supplying the board have a large panel saw for hire £30/hour, or my Festool TS55 on site.

4. boolajake

boolajake Member

yes i have one, it is quite good. I used it a lot when I ,used to make my own units, but now I buy buy melamine in lengths already edged in pvc edging. I would recommend it,very handy

5. Bedroom Fitter

Jake, have you used their edge trimmers aswell? Much quicker than an iron and trimming knife?

6. Wayne K

Wayne K New Member

If go for it, let us know how you got on with it.

7. boolajake

boolajake Member

yes I have, they are really good,used to take best part of a day to edge and trim a kitchen , now I could do it in a couple of hours. Do'nt use it much now but I always carry it in the van for emergencies. I would go for it as it sounds perfect for your situation. I first saw it at exhibition in Dublin and was impressed, I think you will be too.

8. Bedroom Fitter

I've bought myself a trimmer, the edge bander's gonna have to wait til I'm really p*ed of with doing the ironing.

9. boolajake

boolajake Member

If as you say you will be doing a lot of edging it would be silly not to get one. The time saved would be worth it alone,while your at it get the end trimmer as well. By the way I do not work for Virutex, I just found this a blessing.

10. Bedroom Fitter

I'll probably be doing between 5 & 20m of edging a week, but I've got about 4 weeks before I need to decide what to buy. I've been looking at the table top edgers aswell, they are a bit cheaper but less portable.

11. Bedroom Fitter

I've just picked up a second-hand Freud EB100 bench top edge bander off e-bay, after a few test runs I think I've cracked it. I'll leave the iron in the van for any on-site work.
    The double sided trimmer is fantastic, quick, clean and easy. Thanks for your advice Jake, I'm getting an end trimmer too.

12. Dave the Builder

Dave the Builder New Member

* do a couple of edgebanders including a handheld version, quick service. I've used it a couple of times and alls great!!

Message was edited by: Screwfix Moderator