Portable table saw ..... which one?

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by Roy Steiner, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Roy Steiner

Roy Steiner New Member

I need a small table saw that I can take up into my loft and also into my backyard. I have limited space so a portable saw seems the right option. I am not a contractor but a DIY carpenter in development. I have done DIY for years but now plan to make this interest a serious hobby. I therefore will need a reasonably precise saw and realise this will need to be costly. Price aside, I am torn between the Bosch GTS10J2 Professional 254mm Portable Table Saw 240V and the DeWalt DW745 250mm Table Saw 240V . I would be interested in folks experiences with these machines and why they chose the one they did. I realise this is a big ask on your valuable time but this will be a large outlay for me and I want it to be the right one.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Apr 26, 2018
  3. rogerk101

rogerk101 Screwfix Select

Many years ago, I bought one of these (https://www.toolstop.co.uk/dewalt-dw743n-combination-flip-over-saw-are-you-flippin-mad-a1038).
    I bought mine so long ago that this exact same model was designed and made by Elu, but DeWalt bought the design from them, and now sells it under their brand.
    It's by far the most useful tool I have ever owned.
    It's a bit more expensive than what you're looking at, but you'll be thanking yourself over and over again in years to come that you spent that little extra.
    BTW, they occasionally occur on eBay and GumTree for around £500 and some of them are in perfect nick.

4. Roy Steiner

Roy Steiner New Member

Thanks for your prompt response, well appreciated. I did look at Makita, I thought it might be a bit bulky for my purposes and an extra 5kg on the Dewalt and 10kg on the Bosch. I too, noted some very disappointing reviews but usually Makita are good products. I note your gripe with the mitre guide, I would probably make a sled anyway as this seems to be a universal problem with all but the top range of table saws. I also noted the strange size of the mitre saw slot. The Dewalt does have a standard sized slot. I have even considered buying a cheap table saw with a decent motor and making my own table top. The 10" High Power 5000RPM Table Saw on Amazon has a hopeless table/accessories but no concerns of the motor. At that price I could have two and buy Freud blades for the price of the Dewalt.

5. Roy Steiner

Roy Steiner New Member

Thanks for this. I did see this and thought it was a lovely concept and indeed a space saver but I already do have a mitre saw. I have also seen home built flip tables and I may well make one with the mitre saw on one side and a belt sander table on the other. It is for projects such as these that I need to invest in a decent saw.

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I had several homemade jigs & I couldn't use any, had to waste time remaking a couple of the jigs to fit Bosch.

7. Roy Steiner

Roy Steiner New Member

I think that is very relevant and helpful. It would be nice to make a jig that was more universal, sadly it moves me towards the heavier option, namely the Dewalt but this is just the sort of information I need; thanks.

One anxiety with the Dewalt is the difficulty removing the rivet knife when needing to make an incomplete cut as the knife rides so high but it is not insurmountable and I have found how to do this on the internet.

8. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Depending on what you use it for, and how often, you may be better off with Ryobi's portable table saw, RTS1800EF. Nearly half the price of some of the others you're considering.

9. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

I have a flip over saw (Elu) and it's a lovely bit of kit but I find I rarely use it in table saw mode nowadays as it's so much easier to use a track saw. Is it worth investing in an MFT set up? Very portable as well.

Jord86 and KIAB like this.
  10. Roy Steiner

Roy Steiner New Member

Thanks, a good suggestion. I did look at the Ryobi, and have a few of their Ryobi one tools but the reviews were quite negative and I did not feel it would be good enough for what I want. Do you have personal experience of the Ryobi saw, if so I would appreciate a first hand opinion.

11. Roy Steiner

Roy Steiner New Member

A track saw is certainly something I will need for cutting up large sheets but I also need something for small pieces of work which is where the table saw comes in

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Not a patch on quailty to a Bosch.

13. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Yes, though it was an earlier model and about ten years ago. It handled intricate work and kitchen fitting work with ease. There's a reason it's cheaper than the rest, but like I said it depends what you're using it for, you dont buy a Lamborghini to drive two minutes to the local shop.

Roy Steiner likes this.
  14. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I have the DW745 and it is a fantastic bit of kit, especially on the dedicated trolley.

The fence set up is just great, parallel every time.

Extraction not bad.

On board storage is good too.

Gripes?

Cord could be another 1000mm longer.

Off button is very awkwardly positioned.

15. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

I have the bosch gts10J2 and for a luggable table saw its really good - just about as big as you would want to go without wheels. All the bits store away underneath, including the fence - if you get this unit do RTFM because there are bits stored underneath you may not spot if you don't know they are there! I'd used mine for ages before I spotted that there was a rubber vac hose reducer clipped next to the outlet!. I find the fence is square and accurate. Only gripe I have is the riving knife slides up and down and can get a bit sticky, and if you have to take it apart to clean it out and lubricate it's fiddly.

16. big all

big all Screwfix Select

i have the flexvolt[54v] version and cord is more than long enough ;)
    its well thought out and the ability to cut sheet material up to 610 is brilliant
    i have been using the older 742 flip saw in table saw mode and the compromise to do both make it cumbersome and slow to adjust where as adjustment and capacity with the flexvolt is instant and massive width by comparison :D

17. goldenboy

goldenboy Super Member

I do definitely see myself upgrading to the Flexvolt version.

18. big all

big all Screwfix Select

flexvolt is a bit overpriced at the min but prices are dropping i think once the "free battery" with kits drops out the system prices will be more sensible
    6ah are around £88 and 9ah are around £125 its often better to source seperate tool/batteries /charger than complete kit
    as an aside18v 4ah batts should be can be bought for around £40

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
  19. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

And the even do a mains adaptor you can use instead of the battery for FlexVolt Mitre Saws, does it only work with that tool.

https://www.axminster.co.uk/dewalt-dcb500-flexvolt-mains-adaptor-ax986053

20. big all

big all Screwfix Select