Position of shower pump

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by DickieDoughnut, Jun 10, 2018.

1. DickieDoughnut

DickieDoughnut New Member

Hi - it's nearly a year since my last post, but it's the same project! That's how fast I move.

Having discounted combination tanks, unvented cylinders etc I've decided to relocate my vented indirect cylinder to the garage to create space in first floor bathroom (cold tank in loft). However, I want to boost pressure back to the bathroom for a power shower, hence need a pump.

What I'm not sure about is whether the pump (which will only be used for supply to the bathroom) is best located near the cylinder or near the shower. Space isn't a problem in either location. Prevention of noise suggests garage. What I'm not sure about is whether it's better to have the pump near the shower, or near the cylinder (with a second cold feed from the tank in the loft going down to the garage for the pumped cold supply - which seems to be the only disadvantage of locating the pump near the cylinder). If it's near the cylinder in the garage it'll have a good and equal head of pressure on both hot and cold going into the pump, and I think that's better than if the pump was on the first floor where the head of pressure will have reduced.

Grateful for any advice as to whether there's a fatal flaw in this plan, and whether there's a best place for the pump.

Many thanks.

Regards

Richard

2. Pollowick

Pollowick Well-Known Member

Near to the cylinder is the suggested best place - if at all possible.

Heat likes this.
  3. Heat

Heat Well-Known Member

Near source, as pump manufacturer states, so close to base of cylinder.
    (The hot water is the most important draw off for a pump)

4. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Well-Known Member

As above, near the source (hot water cylinder) is recommended, however it may work nearer the bath/shower, depends I think on the pressure drop in the pipes behind it as the pump is "pulling" that water.

It would also work higher up e.g. on top of the cylinder, mine is there and the only issue I have is air locks if the water is drained, but once filled up and pumps kicks in, its fine.

But best place is low down near the cylinder and after a surrey/warix flange.

5. DickieDoughnut

DickieDoughnut New Member

Hi Pollowick, Heat, and Dr Bodgit

Many thanks for your replies, and all pretty consistent which gives me great confidence.

As I'm moving the cylinder to the garage it will be possible to site the pump very close to the cylinder. I think I'll go for just above it as otherwise I'll have to feed a pipe down from the top, only to go back up again - just seems a bit pointless. Also, I will be fitting a Warix flange - seems best option in terms of flexiblity.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to reply, and your very useful feedback. It's much appreciated.

Kind regards

Richard

6. Pollowick

Pollowick Well-Known Member

Make sure you chose the right type - a lot will depend on the "head" of water you have however the length of run to the cylinder and from pump to shower which may reduce the basic (un-pumped) flow. You might get away with a positive head, but it might not perform properly and a Universal may be the best option albeit more expensive.