Position of TVR on Radiator

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Ham, Feb 25, 2010.

1. Ham

Ham New Member

Hi folks
    I am not happy with the temp regulation of my central heating system, I have just checked on the web for the specification of the Honeywell TRV,s in use, the tech sheet
    shows the TVR fitted to the top port on the radiator where mine are fitted to the bottom port, which is the accepted
    at this time

Thanks in advance Ham

2. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

If they are bisexual they can go anywhere, in, out makes no difference.

3. sam spade

sam spade Active Member

Which model Honeywell TRV?

Where did you find the info on the web?

Your system needs to be balanced.

4. The Dormouse

The Dormouse New Member

TRV's are meant to measure the room temperature at normal height & adjust the radiator flow to keep the room heat constant, which means that they need to be installed at the top. Honeywell do know what they are talking about.

If they are installed at floor level, they will measure the temperature there & try to keep it constant, which is a bit pointless. So is balancing TRV controlled radiators, but no 'professional' will admit it because it has always been done that way.

5. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

Dormouse, its all irrelevant where they measure the temp.

They are just numbered 1,2,3, etc, you choose a setting you are happy with!

Its utter nonsense to say they "measure the temperature"

If your room is comfy at say "3' then thats where you leave it!

6. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

I'm also curious where HAM got his info from as my Honeywell manuals clearly show them mounted on the bottom of the rads at any end as they are all bi-directional.

7. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

I read an article in a trade magazine a few years ago, it was written by a chap from Danfoss & he stated that by the way we blast heat into our houses in the UK twice a day, that no TRV will ever kick-in..........So, plant them outside in the garden - that's the best place for them!! Unless you have your heating on all day of course.

8. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

TRV's are fine on the bottom connections!

9. The Dormouse

The Dormouse New Member

So you know better than the manufacturers!

10. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

11. Dick Puller

Dick Puller New Member

TBOE connections look * on radiators and unless you are using remote sensors it makes no odds, read above!!

[Edited by: admin]

12. G Brown

G Brown New Member

As stated, dial up the number that works! ppffft!

13. joinerjohn

joinerjohn New Member

Surely the TRV, being connected to the radiator, must heat up through both convection and conduction, no matter where they are placed on the radiator???

14. Copper Dragon

Copper Dragon New Member

I was under the impression that the Trv is more effective at the top but it generally isnt done because it does not look nice. but as long as the room is warm does it matter.

15. G Brown

G Brown New Member

It matters not a fig! You just dial in a number to suit and thats it! They are not set to accurate degrees celsius!

16. sam spade

sam spade Active Member

The Dormouse wrote
    "If they are installed at floor level ... which is a bit pointless. So is balancing TRV controlled radiators."

That's where you are wrong. Balancing of radiators with TRVs is essential. The main reason there are so many complaints about TRVs not working is that the system has not been balanced properly.

Read "Commissioning TRVs" on the Drayton website or, if you want a more detailed explanation, read "Balancing of Radiator Systems at http://www.tourandersson.com/Documents/Handbooks/TA_Handbook_3eng.pdf

17. imran_

imran_ New Member

Agreed - if not balanced some rads will get hot and some stay cold UNTIL the hot rooms' TRVS start shutting down.

They work by convection only and the temp of a room between floor height and 600mm is negligible. As said, it's not an absolute scale.

Seen loads fitted behind furniture and curtains, hardly any with remote sensors. Lazy bar steward installers and installers that's all.

18. Ham

Ham New Member

19. Itandje

Itandje New Member

Stick the trvs on the top for the owld ones so they don't have to bend down, and on the bottom for everyone else cos you use less pipe. Easy.

20. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

If the valve is a bit obscured then turn it up or down a bit more until you get a setting that works.