Possible Diverter problem, possibly not

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by shootm83, Dec 30, 2018.

1. shootm83

shootm83 New Member

I have a downstairs boiler/water tank in attic, immersion in loft setup. Today our water is hot but our radiators are cold. All my googling has pointed to a possible problem with the motorized diverter valve.

I have found a diverter next to the immersion that seems to be directly above the kitchen where the boiler would be. One output leads into the immersion and the other goes into the floor. I have verified that the motorized part of the diverter will change between the W->M->H settings as i would expect when i toggle on/off the +1 hr water/heating options on the programmer. Similarly, both the output pipes from the diverter get very hot all along their length when on the M setting, so the valve itself seems to be ok. However, at no point have i been able to get any heat in any radiator in the house - heat, top, middle or bottom, nor in their pipes. Can anyone suggest any likely causes for this?

Many thanks in advance

2. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

Post some pics. It will help.
    What make a model of boiler. Include a pic of the pump and valve

3. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

The water could still be hot from a previous demand.
    So turning on the HW fires the boiler?
    Does turning on the heating fire the boiler?
    Is the pump red hot?

4. shootm83

shootm83 New Member

Added some photos as requested.

Turned water off (it was just on anyway) and left ch on, and the boiler is on now. The diverter valve and all pipes leading to/from are hot - uncomfortably hot to touch. The pump below the diverter pictured is also hot.

Attached Files:

5. Mike83

Mike83 Screwfix Select

Does it feel or sound like the pump is running.
    Is it a sealed system or tank fed?
    Does the boiler fire for a short while then turn off without any rads getting hot?

6. shootm83

shootm83 New Member

Whilst inspecting the pump I ran my hand over the side and brushed against the dial to hear it click and suddenly spring to life, i wonder if it had been knocked off and i've knocked it back on again. Either way, for the time being everything seems to be O.K. again. Very odd.

7. Jimbo

Jimbo Screwfix Select

Maybe a terminal is loose on the pump wiring.