Possible overload?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by nlandlord, Jan 12, 2019.

  1. nlandlord

    nlandlord New Member

    Morning guys

    Looking for advice regarding supply. I'm running a pub with b&b above. Big consumer units and some 3phase equipment in kitchen, 7 electric showers in guest rooms, partly airconditioned, cellar coolers & general uses (2x 3phase cu's & 4 small 1phase cu's). Gas boiler for heating & water.
    So I've got a private extension that's gutted at the moment. Plan is to have own consumer unit in private accommodation, I'll be running most of the cable my self to reduce sparkys bill.

    So planning the cable route for 16mm t&e to meter cupboard I discovered the tails from meter to Henley blocks look like 16mm. Considering consumption is high and another cu to be added soon are these tails undersized / need upgrading?[​IMG]

  2. retiredsparks

    retiredsparks Well-Known Member

    I want to brew my own beer and serve it to my mates at home in my converted 'bar' shed ... to stop them going down local pub and keep it open.... and giving the landlord his living.
    Can you advise please.
  3. It's alright, he will probably "pay his mate who's a sparky" to come and connect up and sign it off.

    He can't get hold of him unfortunately right now because he's on holiday for two weeks! Would you believe it!
  4. nlandlord

    nlandlord New Member

    He is connecting and signing, small business trying to keep costs down where possible that's all. Thought id ask on here but I'll ask him to pop by instead
  5. Bazza

    Bazza Well-Known Member

    You (appear) to have three phase with a 100A (maybe it needs checking) fuse in each.
    The meter tails 'appear' to be 25mm, which would be appropriate for a 100A supply fuse. You need someone to check as 16mm will get warm given your apparent loading.
    Your questions really are: is 100 amps per phase sufficient for the load on each phase?
    should the loads be distributed differently?
    which phase should I connect the new DB to?
    where am I going to install the switchfuse to protect my new 16mm T&E?
    Is 16mm going to be big enough?

    Has anybody competent designed your new addition? If not....You need an experienced electrician to carry out a proper design on the whole enchilada before you go any further.
  6. peter palmer

    peter palmer Well-Known Member

    I get this attitude all the while with the quotes I do, instead of just saying we don't want your services they start with a sob story about how times are hard and they can't quite afford the quote but would still like us to do the work if we can just.... The most recent one, the bloke has bought a dilapidated house in a nice area which will be worth a fortune once done started crying about our price, this is despite the fact he was walking round the job with a £2K Gucci handbag. So he is basically saying our hard work is worth less than a ******* bag.
    sparky steve likes this.
  7. 14th edition

    14th edition Well-Known Member

    Brain overload, get someone in who knows what they are doing!
    sparky steve likes this.
  8. nlandlord

    nlandlord New Member

    So it's only lights and sockets in private accom, I'll be running the cables as I build stud walls & the 16mm, he said to leave it in meter cupboard and hel be doing the rest.
    ALL I'm doing is running 16mm to wear cu going to be from meter cupboard, socket & lights cable. Itl be minimal loading really, just tv, phone charger etc. Everything else will be done by the electrician I was just curious to see if the supply is good enough to add more, allthough trying to save by running the cables i can run them as I'm building the stud walls aswell.

    Any way I've called him and explained, he said something about calculations so I'll wait for him to come and do what he needs to.

    Thanks bazza
  9. Bazza

    Bazza Well-Known Member

    Yes, always best (essential) to do some calculations before running the cables in!
  10. Comlec

    Comlec Well-Known Member

    Can I suggest that before you do anything you get an EICR done. According to the notice on your DB it is TWO years overdue!
    retiredsparks likes this.
  11. nlandlord

    nlandlord New Member

    The brewery did send out a guy to do a safety check a couple months back, he had the cover off all the consumer units, he was there for hours testing various things. Would that be a "EICR" ?
  12. Comlec

    Comlec Well-Known Member

    Sounds like an EICR (Electrical Installation Condition Report). The report would go to the brewery but there should be a new 'Next Inspection' notice at the installation and a "Circuit Schedule".
  13. peter palmer

    peter palmer Well-Known Member

    Wonder how many codes were on it, looks quite messy to me, no fusing in the isolators, only 3 pole isolation - does the sumbain not need the neutral isolating as well? no RCD on plastic board, looks like single insulated tails to plastic board, big holes in the bottom of the CU, loose cables in connectors, main RCD in the 3phase board, even the service head is upside down.

    And thats just what I can see in a couple of pictures, imagine what you will find when you actually snoop around a bit. Guy probably wants more work of the brewery though.

    Thinking about it the neutral wont need isolating in a 3 phase submain because you could use a 3 phase MCB in a DB to supply one if you so wished and they don't isolate the neutral. Just TTs that need it I think.
  14. unphased

    unphased Screwfix Select

    Chapter 46 Isolation and Switching 461.2 refers to switching or isolating the neutral in PME and TN-S and (i) and (ii) give conditions

    Just done my 18th and that was one of the questions that came up. :) Passed it anyway, got 57/60. Only one person got 59/60 in a class of 19 and nobody got full house.
  15. Risteard

    Risteard Well-Known Member

    Only if your maths is very poor. I make it just over one year.
  16. Comlec

    Comlec Well-Known Member

    My maths is fine it is the arithmetic that let’s me down.
    Risteard likes this.
  17. Bob Rathbone

    Bob Rathbone Well-Known Member

    This is a twist on the old story of 'I have a mate down the pub who will do it' to 'I have a pub and a mate will do it'.
    Seriously, you have a complex system that you do not recognise and cannot describe here. Before you start, get the electrician in to assess the installation as it stands, he will then advise you far better than we can on here as we are unaware of all of the foibles of the job.
    retiredsparks likes this.
  18. peter palmer

    peter palmer Well-Known Member

    I make a decent living putting right the cock ups that handyman types do. I'm not too sure why I get so upset when the clueless have a go at things.
  19. retiredsparks

    retiredsparks Well-Known Member

    It's called ambivalence
  20. nlandlord

    nlandlord New Member

    Somones not getting any...

    Sparky has inspected! The board with no rcd is fire alarm & emergency lighting (apparently doesn't need rcd). Anyway all of that stuff by the tails & blocks etc is being pulled out, new tails,circuits blah blah blah. He's doing all of the work including running cables + brewery have agreed to pay for everything.

    CONFESSION = I changed a 13amp plug in 1990 (I'm so ashamed)
    hope that doesn't upset anyone too much ☺

Share This Page