Possible surge damage to equipment.

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by dumb apple, Mar 8, 2010.

1. dumb apple

dumb apple New Member

My parent's recently had the local council in replacing their central heating system in their council home.
    During the installation the electricians were also fitting mains powered smoke alarms.
    After a long days work, the workmen left but it was only at this point did my parents relies that neither the TV or Virgin cable box worked properly any longer. The TV's volume is at its max. but the TV indicates its on mute with no means of controlling it. The cable box just died for no reason but has now been replaced but Virgin. The council are claiming no responsibility. Any ideas as to what the electricians could have done to cause this ? TA

2. sysparks

sysparks New Member

Could have zapped it with the insulation tester? Not sure what effect that would have on an appliance. Hard to prove or disprove i suppose.

3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Loose scart socket or bent pins can cause this sort of problem(with the volume). If it's been shifted, maybe it's not been put back properly, or damaged.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

4. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Maybe go for a third post? :)