post hole depth

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by simonadelaide, Mar 11, 2013.

1. simonadelaide

simonadelaide New Member

hi,

i'm putting concreting in some 4x4 posts to put up a line of trellis approx 6ft high and 6ft across.  i wondered what depth i need to go down, since i seem to of hit solid rock/brick at about 45cm down.  can i use these holes or do i have to do some rock braeking to about 2 ft down?
    cheers

2. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

the depth at which you drive the posts should be determined by the height of the trellis, assuming you want a neat finish showing a uniform level - if it's bedrock at 450mm below you might want to drill a series of holes downwards and drop some rebar in them, leaving the top at least 400mm proud, and then fill with crete

the idea being the rebar binds the shallow new concrete to the rock below - however if it's just a large stone or section of rock below you might be better to enlarge to hole and remove it altogether

3. simonadelaide

simonadelaide New Member

thanks for that.  i think its more buried brickwork/fill, though why its in the middle of the garden and 45cm down i don't know.  i'll try and dig through it.

4. wb1627

wb1627 New Member

I put up some 4' high featheredge board and went down 3' with the posts.......

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

How much did you get paid for the oil you struck?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

6. surfermick

surfermick New Member

6ft high sold fence panel = 2ft underground  concreted in (tried and tested), i would say for a 6ft trellis (as long as it is just trellis) then 18 inches (45cm) will be ample.if however you are growing something up the trellis then Seans idea sounds good to me.