Potential asbestos

Discussion in 'Screwfix Live' started by L_basc, Feb 12, 2024.

1. L_basc

L_basc New Member

Hello
    I am currently working on an old fire station. There in an area of the building that hasn’t been touched since what looks like the 1970s, old retro paper and flooring.

I have stripped the wallpaper this morning but concerned it might have contained asbestos. I’m not sure anyone has experience with 1970s wool yarn wallpaper (I can’t seem to find any info on it online). As I’ve stripped it I’ve noticed what looks like white powder which I have thought to be adhesive on the wool to make it stick to the paper backing. Does anyone know if this might have contained asbestos?

2. Mark DM

Mark DM Well-Known Member

Can't comment specifically but don't take chances. Wear a suitable respirator .. if its not clean air, don't breath it in .

3. The Happy Builder

The Happy Builder Screwfix Select

I cannot imagine the wall paper contains asbestos, but the fire station almost certainly did, it may have been removed, it may not have been removed or it might possibly never been there in the first place.

I would assume there is asbestos in and around the building until confirmed otherwise.

4. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

You can get any iffy sections tested

5. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Surely the owners will have an asbestos register for the building?

6. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Send any samples to bright...

7. L_basc

L_basc New Member

Thank you, it’s all been stripped and bagged so can still get a sample. From what I’ve gathered so far is that the old vinyl wallpapers used in kitchens may contain it but nothing on Wool

8. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Came across this a couple of times years ago it is a fibreglass backing used as a fire retardant and mainly used in commercial buildings as well as residential homes in kitchens due to it's stability.

Mark DM likes this.
  9. billysloke

billysloke Active Member

I would assume a fire station (of the right vintage) is packed to the gills with asbestos because it would be like ermm, WELL embarrassing if it burnt down??

I wouldn't drill, scrape or sand anything anywhere in the entire building without a survey having been done.