Potential wiring disaster

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Danielle93, Nov 4, 2018.

1. DIY womble

DIY womble Well-Known Member

Sorry was commenting on williekas friend

Danielle93 likes this.
  2. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

No offence meant but it was your wording which made me wonder on your planned aproach;

‘I know enough about electrics to be able to wire it to a socket myself’

Yes of course I guessed you would have to extend the supplied flex (unlesss you live in a dolls house) but it sounded rather iffy to me

Danielle93 likes this.
  3. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

If you post a photo showing the hood and wall units, we might be able to suggest an ideal location. Mine is high up near the coving but isn't an eye sore as it's barely noticeable, but I do like that it can be seen as no-one will wonder how to isolate the hood if they need to.

(Yes, I did paint the FSU's face with wall emulsion... :oops: )

SAM_0003.JPG

Danielle93 likes this.
  4. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Theres an FCU immediately to the left of the chimney in your photo. What is that used for?

5. Danielle93

Danielle93 Active Member

That's pretty much what I was thinking of doing. I'm not fussed about seeing the FSU. Similar design myself. Old photo, its been grouted and painted now!

Attached Files:

6. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

The FCU is a potential supply for your hood. In fact that may be what it is there for.

Let me ask you again

7. DIY womble

Switched on so assumed under counter unit

8. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Are you confusing pics, the one with the hood already in place is Allsorts i think. ??

Allsorts likes this.
  9. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Oh yes. Stupid Bazza. :oops:
    Where’s my medication, Is it time for my walk …

WillyEckerslike and Allsorts like this.
  10. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

Cool. Almost certainly your best option is as explained before - spur from behind upstairs socket to FSU and hence to hood - all buried under plaster in a channel, but keep the cables dead vert and horiz from the FSU.

11. Richard_

Richard_ Screwfix Select

I prefer FSUs to be out of sight. Mine is mounted it on the top of the adjacent wall unit.

When I refurb houses I put all the appliances FCUs in a bank in one of the cupboards to avoid an outbreak of switchitus, or as the Americans say wall warts.

No doubt someone will soon pipe up that appliances don't actually need an FCU. The fan will come with a plug that you connect to a socket hidden by the fake chimney cowl.

DIY womble likes this.
  12. DIY womble

Just done the same in a barn I built for a neighbour , hate socket garbage , Much tidier .
    Can't stand tile cuts around what has to go on show so I leave the cable behind the plasterboard , tile and cut sockets to be exactly positioned as I go . I have this approach ( madness ) about lots of things , so try to take on as little work as possible

13. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

I would put a socket behind the chimney if I had no other choice but if the fuse in the plug blows it can be a right pain in the **** to get to later, especially if coving has been put up and the top screws are hidden. Much better to just have a joint box in the hood and a fused spur elswhere.

14. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

Mine just sits on top of the unit to the side of the hood, it not visible from ground level, but easy enough to switch off if needs be.

Danielle93 and DIY womble like this.
  15. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

celled?

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  16. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

You've made me moist with that talk, you silver tongued devil, you.

Can you go away now?

17. Danielle93

Danielle93 Active Member

I keep missing these deleted comments. Makes for some interesting one sided conversations :oops::p

18. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Yes, reminds me of my time with the first Mrs Bazza!

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  19. Allsorts

Allsorts Super Member

I can tell you they were highly complimentary about you.

The weirdo wanted to know you in a very biblical way...

20. Danielle93

Danielle93 Active Member

I can only imagine the sort of UN-holy language thankfully removed :eek::p