Potterton Combi HE boiler

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by Davie2712, Jan 27, 2022.

1. Davie2712

Davie2712 New Member

Hi All,
    Having some issues with my potterton boiler. Have replaced the diverter valve and heat exchanger as no hot water was being produced and kettling was heard.
    Hot water cam back for a day or two and now gone again.
    On firing up the gas chamber rumbles. I've had the gas chamber of and cleaned as best as. I would assume its the first clean its had since inatallation in 2012. There appears to be brown staining at the bottom of the gas chamber?
    Could the pilot ignition be failing at this stage causing the excess gas to rumble inside the chamber?
    Your help and advice is most appreciated and welcomed.
    Thanks in advance.

2. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

I am not a gas engineer but an Electrician. I am deeply concerned that your knowledge of gas appliances is limited and you are embarking on a fix for an old boiler that is clearly spilling over at the bottom of the combustion chamber. To me this is a danger signal for a gas appliance. You mention a pilot light, this again indicates that the boiler is old and not a condenser. My advice, for what it is worth, is forget this old boiler, fit a new condensing combi, even better get it fitted by a Gas Safe engineer and you will then have access to the manufacturers guarantee. What do other members think?

3. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

I would be surprised if there is a pilot light. The rumbling is likely due to poor combustion I.e incorrect Gas/air mixture. This needs diagnosis and correction and that requires specific equipment to do that. Time for you to call someone in as the previous poster says.

4. Davie2712

Davie2712 New Member

Hi and thanks for your reply. I understand where your coming from however the Potterton boiler is a condensing combi boiler. When i mentiined ignition i was referring to the spark inside the combustion chamber. There are clearly electrodes inside the chamber for this reason to cause the ignition. I was asking if they could be failing.
    The condensing boiler was fitted by British Gas but we have only jist bought the house with no paperwork etc.
    As much as i would love to just fit another new boiler its not practical at the minute. Although i have called someone to come have a look at it and get it repaired.
    Thanks for your advice on this occasion although it did not lead anywhere near the correct road.

5. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

In the meantime, if you don't have one already purchase a carbon monoxide alarm.

6. Davie2712

Davie2712 New Member

Been installed and fully working since we bought the house. And never went off so thats a relief.
    Still doesnt solve the problem with the hoy water though? Thought there wouldve been a few experts on this site that might have seen similar in the past.

7. Davie2712

Davie2712 New Member

The pilot light i was referring too was the electrode. It ignites as the gas is in the chamber thus causing the heat for the boiler. Sorry if i used the incorrect name.
    You could be right about the mixture but theres no reason why the mixture wiukd randomly change as the boiler had been untouched for several years and was working fine up until the issue with the rumbling.
    Its all such a big problem solver with so many solutions