Pouring pad foundations underneath existing wall and pier

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Turbine, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Isitreally

Isitreally Well-Known Member

Yes it is really.

Also that steel is set wrong, it doesnt appear to be bearing a minimum 150mm, (200mm is better.)

It also shouldn't have cut bricks under it, it should be steel plates at that thickness.

2. sospan

sospan Well-Known Member

There are so many things wrong, the size and quality of the pier, the brick on the web to" stop lateral movement" - I like that one but I bet the BCO didn't

but also so many warning signs

- My builder (a great guy)

- My builder got a bricklayer in to do it rather than doing it himself - the poor brickwork on the pier is better than the builder could do !!. Wow

- He has 25 years experience and I trust him. But I’m down 3k so far to get the steel in, and am looking at a LOT more than that if we have to do what looks to be required.

- The proposal for a 150mm thick foundation.

- My builder has been trying to come up with a way of putting in the pad foundations without knocking down the wall and pier, repositioning the dwarf wall, cutting the joists and rebuilding everything. But he can’t think how - "My builder 0 - 4 Screwfix forum. Within a short while there were so many solutions to figure this out, probably cheaper but definitely better

The whole thing is a shambles. It really needs a fresh look at it from an independent surveyor / builder as to what to do and get the correct paperwork in place with a properly designed solution and plan and also agreement with the neighbours and also notify the household insurance company.

One thing to be thankful about the BCO - said NO, try again

KIAB likes this.
  3. egon999

egon999 Member

Have I read this wrong. are you asking how to underpin the wall/pad?
    Do it in alternative bays if its a wall. or if its a pad then dig halfway from one side, place concrete then dig from the other and complete it. resin in a couple of starter bars if you wish. Run it past your engineer?

4. Pollowick

Pollowick Well-Known Member

Are you able to comment on designs that utilise SPAM as the primary construction material?