powdery floor screed

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by new fella, Dec 20, 2008.

1. new fella

new fella New Member

Hello,

I have a newly screeded floor and it looks and feels powdery. Is there a product on the market that I could apply on the top to seal it? Or any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

I have been told there is a product that will soak into the top layer of the floor and set solid alternatively I have been told to put self levelling on it. What do you lot reckon.

Thanks in advance

2. CheshireBuilder

CheshireBuilder New Member

Gis a bit more info, what is the screed? new floor or an old one re levelled? is there a dpc?

Bit more background, it shouldnt really be dusty, there are products to seal it but ya wanna know why its not setting correctly

3. new fella

new fella New Member

2 weeks ago i had my new first floor beam and block floor screeded so no DPC with building sand and mastercrete cement mixed 2.5/1 ratio with fibres. it is on top of 30mm insulation with under floor heating pipes clipped to the insulation.

a builder came and saw it and said there is not enough cement in it he reckons but the mix was done by me so i know the ratio to be correct.

would the fact that the mix was really dry effect it?

(the fellow laying requested a dry mix)

4. ­

­ New Member

Possible overnight frost damage or possible overdried using heaters?

5. new fella

new fella New Member

no heaters were used so not overdried.

what can be done to try to salvage it?

any ideas

cheers

6. CheshireBuilder

CheshireBuilder New Member

I doubt that the issue is not enough cement, thats a fairly strong amount of cement 2.5/1. More likely to be to much than not enough but thats by the by.

Shrinkage will happen in this weather cos of the heat in the day and the excessive cold at night, you need to try to keep it as consistent as you can as difficult as that is..

You could use a self leveller, it all depends on what you plan to do on the floor, i assume its a full first floor so you have 2-4 different coverings going to be going on it..

Leave for as long as poss til you are at the stage where it needs to be worked on and see what the damage is you will probably find that if you poke around on the screed where its dusty 5mm down is probably solid as a rock so it could just be a case of filling it then sealing it

7. sammy toaster

sammy toaster New Member

in other words "forget about it" as you are going to have a nervous breakdown further down the line.