Power Flushing Machines, ASSET or Liability?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by palavaman, Jan 5, 2013.

1. palavaman

palavaman Well-Known Member

After spending my whole Plumbing life (only been plumbing about 6 weeks) listenning to tomasplumbs, I came to the conclussion that I will always follow his advice.  This particular advice is that a Power Flushing Machine is not needed as conventional methods can be used to flush a heating system.  Infact, I have heard from good authority that he has a video to back this theory/view.
    On that regard, I had promised myself never to waste my ''hard earned'' cash buying a Power Flushing Machine?

But here is the PROBLEM.
    While fitting a WB 42CDi yesterday, I encountered this Dilema:

I had to remove an ageing Potterton Kingfisher, piped in 28mm primaries and secondaries.  OK I hear you say, SO WHAT???

Well, the return rose up (had a stub of about 300mm) with an air vent.  Below that, the 28mm teed off to the downstairs and upstairs.  This tee was in an akward position, so I decided to angle grind it so as to save time.  Then I got a shock.  It was solid with MUCK, yuuk.  I can understand cold feeds to boiler where the tee gets fecked up with muck, but this was a 28mm pipe teed into 22mm and with only about a 2-3mm bore.

I suddenly realised that chances are even a power flushing machine will not be able to clear the system of all sludge and whart ever was lurking down there?  I had to come to that conclusion as when I cut the flow pipe next to cylinder, water just continued to pour out even though the system had been completely drained???   So there must be some blockage somewhere.

Question is:
    Should I close my eyes and buy a Power Flushing Machine, or just carry on with the conventional way?

2. palavaman

3. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

you're right, a powerflush would NOT move that, so you would spend  hours of lost time trying plus price of hire/purchase with a power flush, only to have to change the pipework in the end,

4. palavaman

thats the qwession I woz trying to ask you tom.

I think i'll put the credit card away and continue with conventional methods.

Boiler is up and working a treat now so who needs a power flushing machine?
    Did not even bother changing all the pipework, just a section of the offending area, then used mr plumbs method and whoosh, all sorted.

I still stand by my theory that ''only an irresponsible person will fit a boiler to an existing system and not fit a filter on the return pipework''.
    I know you all call it Snake's Oil, but better to fit it and it catches naught or fit it and it collects whatever is heading for the boiler HE

5. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

I agree for the price of a filter, its worth the cost, but I think some responsibillty should go to the boiler manufacture, they are putting all the resonsibily on the installer to clean the system, Its like ford selling us a car that will rot in 2 years unless we only drive on clean rodes,

6. palavaman

Well Tomas, regardless of how you look at it, the installer will always be shot down at the first opportunity.
    The manufacturers, the pen pushers, the homeowner, the supplier, the list is endless.

7. dickiehoneybucket

dickiehoneybucket New Member

Perhaps you'd be better spending your meager earnings on colonic irrigation dear boy??

8. palavaman

whart is a colonial irrigation, dad

9. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

I don't think Dickie will be back to answer your question son, He's only allowed visiting rights so let me explain,
    well you know where your colon is, and you know what irrigation is, put the two together and its like a powerflush but the water goes in the outlet, It's a new trend apparently

10. palavaman

gert it

11. fidobsa

fidobsa Member

It's funny, just this morning I was wondering why central heating systems don't have filters but I see they do exist! I have to do something about one rad that is hot at the top and cool at the bottom but I think I will get a filter at the same time. I found this on YouTube:

Message was edited by: Screwfix Moderator

12. palavaman

I have always only fitted Fernox TF1 Filters and do have a good stock of them in my garrage.  All the same, as of last week, I had a mail from Addey (makers of MagnaClean) telling me about their new product and how there are FREEBIES to be won on a monthly bases with names randomly selected from a 'hat'.
    Being a sucker, I am now prepared to delve into this 'new' product.  So next week, providing Plumbase stock this new product, I am going to fit a MagnaClean Professional2 filter on the boiler I am fitting in Forest Hill.

Fibosa, I must say that sales pitch on UTube by Magnaclean is not a verry good one.  It gives the advocators of Power Flushing Machines a good whip to whip them with.
    Are you just going to sit there and run the system and then keep removing and cleaning the filter every 2 mins?  If so, by the third attempt, enough sludge would have gone past to clog up the HE.  In as much as that is how it works, I dont think they should have shown it that way
    Ofcourse, if you are fitting a new boiler and the old one is still working, then you can use filter as advertised on the old boiler, then after the 12 mins, remove old boiler and fit new.

With a Power Flushing Machine, you would issolate the boiler (bypassing pump & HE) and be able to remove most of the sludge, then on completion, fit a filter to protect the system.

Regarding your rad you want to do something about, do not forget to first use a flushing agent (follow manufacturers ins) to flush the system.  Remove offending rad and flush through outside.  Then fit this new filter you want to buy.
    Tomasplumb has a video on UTube that shows you how to flush that radiator.