Power pro router

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by mailee, Mar 17, 2004.

1. mailee

mailee New Member

While I am on here just thought I would mention that I have just bought a power pro router from dare I say it, B&Q. It came in a kit with fifty cutting bits and various accessories, the whole lot cost me £70, not bad for a 1250 watt 1/2 router, how the hell do they do them so cheap?. The cutters alone must be worth that!.

2. Dewy

Dewy New Member

simple answer. The router is c-r-a-p.
    Its made by Nutool & if you search this forum you will find many topics or replies about them.

3. joinerjohn

joinerjohn New Member

Fair comment Dewy but it's still better than the toy my missus bought me last christmas . I offered it to Oxfam and they threatened to sue me ...... Made by some fly by night firm no one has ever heard of

4. mailee

mailee New Member

Hey Dewy, do you mean it is not as good as my Elu then?. Well I will find out soon as it will be given some good hard beatings soon. Mind you they do have a replacement policy there so maybe I will change it in the near future. :)

5. Dewy

Dewy New Member

Not as good as your Elu?
    The difference is like saying a kids go-cart is as good as a Rolls Royce.

6. Hevs Dad

Hevs Dad New Member

I bought one of these last year as they were clearing them in our local warehouse for 49 quid.
    I was rebating the bottom of a hard wood door and it shot the bit out of the collet(Yes I had tightened it properley)The thing went off like a bullet...heads down.
    "Luckily" it span on its end and didn't damage the cutting edge.
    I took it back to B&Q and the first thing the woman said was"Have you been using it for trade use?"...I hadn't actualy so I asked her why was it called a "Pro" tool then if it's not for proffesional use?....blank stare.
    Got it replaced but it's sat in it's box for a year.
    Routing mag this month have reviewed it...you get what you pay for.

7. Gotcher

Gotcher New Member

The difference is like saying a kids go-cart is as
    good as a Rolls Royce.

Depends. If you entered the RR in a go-cart competition then it might not feature too well on the results scoreboard.

Gotcher

8. chris

chris Guest

I also used this router at work (B&Q) to make a display box, it just seemed nasty compared to my own. They call them "performance power Pro" to give them a beefy name so that DIY people like myself will buy them rather than decent stuff and yes the warranty is LIMITED and not applied to trade use. If it breaks down clean it up (and its nice fancy case) put your sunday best on, shave go to your local B&Q and say that whilst using the tool, to help restore your period georgian manor it broke down on you. Just don't go in there with your snickers on and you will get away with it.
    I had to go to the returns desk the yesterday for a complaint the guy was stood there very smartly dressed and told me that whilst using his Performance Power Pro electric nailer "for the first time" it stopped working. The nailer looked liked it had been used for ten years but what the hell I refunded it. So it just depends who you get at the refunds desk.....